Achromatopsia: Patients who have achromatopsia (sometimes called achromatopia) do not have normal "cone vision.". Although the term may refer to acquired disorders such as color agnosia and cerebral achromatopsia, it typically refers to an autosomal recessive congenital color vision disorder, the inability to perceive color AND to achieve satisfactory visual acuity at high light levels (typically exterior daylight).
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Achromatopsia is available below.
Symptoms of Achromatopsia
- Colour blindness
- Visualising colour as grey
- Difficulty recognising faces (prosopagnosia)
- Weakness of one side of body (hemiparesis)
- Sensory loss of one side of body
- more symptoms...»
See full list of 27
symptoms of Achromatopsia
Treatments for Achromatopsia
See full list of 8
treatments for Achromatopsia
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Achromatopsia:
- Vision & Eye Health: Home Testing:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Achromatopsia?
Achromatopsia: Related Patient Stories
Read more about Deaths and Achromatopsia.
Read more about complications of Achromatopsia.
Causes of Achromatopsia
- Malfunction of the retinal phototransduction pathway
- Genetic causes of this are mutations in the cone cell cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channels CNGA3 (ACHM2) and CNGB3 (ACHM3) as well as the cone cell transducin, GNAT2 (ACHM4)
- Acquired- Acquired achromatopsia/dyschromatopsia is a condition associated with damage to the diencephalon (primarily the thalamus of the mid brain) or the cerebral cortex (the new brain)
- more causes...»
Read more about causes of Achromatopsia
More information about causes of Achromatopsia:
Disease Topics Related To Achromatopsia
Research the causes of these diseases that are similar to, or related to, Achromatopsia:
Achromatopsia: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Achromatopsia: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
More Achromatopsia animations & videos
Achromatopsia: Broader Related Topics
Types of Achromatopsia
Achromatopsia Message Boards
Related forums and medical stories:
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Achromatopsia, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Definitions of Achromatopsia:
Severely deficient color perception, typically with monochromacy and reduced visual acuity. The atypical form can include normal visual acuity with pseudomonochromacy.
- (Source - Diseases Database)
Contents for Achromatopsia:
User Surveys and Discussion Forums
» Next page: What is Achromatopsia?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: