Treatments for Acute Bronchitis
Treatments for Acute Bronchitis:
The goal of treatment of acute bronchitis is to control symptoms, such as fever, cough, and shortness of breath, and to minimize the development of serious complications, such as pneumonia.
The first step in treatment is prevention. The risk of developing acute bronchitis can be reduced by not smoking and avoiding air pollutants, and exposure to people who are sick with colds, influenza, and other respiratory infections. Good hand washing practices minimize the spread of viruses and bacteria that cause acute bronchitis.
Mild cases of acute bronchitis may be treated at home. Treatment includes getting plenty of rest and fluids and using a humidifier. The physician will also recommended over-the-counter or prescription medications to relieve pain, fever, and cough.
If acute bronchitis is caused by a bacterial infection, an antibiotic will be prescribed. If there is shortness of breath, a bronchodilator may be needed. Bronchodilators help to relax and open up the lower airways in the lungs and are inhaled into the lungs using a device called an inhaler.
Moderate to severe acute bronchitis may result in low levels of oxygen in the blood and require hospitalization and intravenous antibiotic administration. Treatment often includes oxygen therapy, in which extra oxygen is given through nasal prongs or a mask. Supplemental oxygen can help relieve the shortness of breath and ensure that the vital organs, such as the heart and the brain, get enough oxygen. Concentrations of oxygen and the types of devices used vary depending on the severity of an individual's condition.
It is also vital to prevent common diseases that can seriously complicate acute bronchitis and become life threatening. These include influenza and pneumonia, which may be prevented with vaccines or treated with antibiotics in appropriate patients who are at risk for these complications.
Treatment List for Acute Bronchitis
The list of treatments mentioned in various sources
for Acute Bronchitis
includes the following list.
Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment
or change in treatment plans.
Acute Bronchitis: Is the Diagnosis Correct?
The first step in getting correct treatment is
to get a correct diagnosis.
Differential diagnosis list for Acute Bronchitis may include:
Hidden causes of Acute Bronchitis may be incorrectly diagnosed:
Acute Bronchitis: Marketplace Products, Discounts & Offers
Products, offers and promotion categories available for Acute Bronchitis:
Acute Bronchitis: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research all specialists including ratings, affiliations, and sanctions.
Latest treatments for Acute Bronchitis:
The following are some of the latest treatments for Acute Bronchitis:
Hospital statistics for Acute Bronchitis:
These medical statistics relate to hospitals, hospitalization and Acute Bronchitis:
- 0.017% (2,227) of hospital consultant episodes were for acute bronchitis in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 82% of hospital consultant episodes for acute bronchitis required hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 52% of hospital consultant episodes for acute bronchitis were for men in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 48% of hospital consultant episodes for acute bronchitis were for women in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 94% of hospital consultant episodes for acute bronchitis required emergency hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- more hospital information...»
Hospitals & Medical Clinics: Acute Bronchitis
Research quality ratings and patient incidents/safety measures
for hospitals and medical facilities in specialties related to Acute Bronchitis:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Treatment Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Acute Bronchitis,
on hospital and medical facility performance and surgical care quality:
Buy Products Related to Treatments for Acute Bronchitis