Signs of ADHD
Signs and Symptoms of ADHD:
A diagnosis of ADHD is based partly on symptoms. It is generally accepted that children must exhibit symptoms to an extent greater than the average child of the same age for six months or more. Symptoms are categorized into those of inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity.
Symptoms of Inattention include:
- Inability to stay focused on tasks appropriate for age, such as completing 10 minutes of homework for a ten year old.
- Having difficulty concentrating on one thing, such as what a teacher is saying in class
- Loosing important items, such as a eight year old who frequently loses her glasses
- Daydreaming, appearing sluggish and slow to respond
- Not making eye contact or not appearing to listen when spoken to
- Difficulty with following instructions for age appropriate tasks or activities
- Becoming quickly bored with a task of activity
Symptoms of hyperactivity include:
- Excessive talking
- Inability to sit still even during short periods
- Constantly on the move, running, jumping, screaming
Symptoms of impulsivity include:
- Showing excessive emotions
- Frequently interrupts others
Children can exhibit any combination of these symptom types. Some children may be more difficult to diagnose because they primarily exhibit the symptoms of inattention, such as daydreaming and losing items, but not symptoms of hyperactivity. Children can also primarily exhibit symptoms of hyperactivity and impulsivity or of all three symptom categories....more...»
Symptoms of ADHD
The list of medical symptoms mentioned in various sources
for ADHD may include:
List of 38
Note that ADHD symptoms usually refers to various medical symptoms known to a patient,
but the phrase ADHD signs may often refer to those signs
that are only noticable by a doctor.
More Symptoms of ADHD:
More detailed symptom information may be found on the symptoms of ADHD article.
In addition to the above medical information, to get a full picture
of the possible signs or symptoms of this condition
and also possibly the signs and symptoms of its related medical conditions,
it may be necessary to examine symptoms
that may be
Medical articles on signs and symptoms:
These general reference articles may be related
to medical signs and symptoms of disease in general:
What are the signs of ADHD?
The phrase "signs of ADHD" should, strictly speaking,
refer only to those signs and symptoms of ADHD that are not readily apparent to the patient.
The word "symptoms of ADHD" is the more general meaning; see symptoms of ADHD.
The signs and symptom information on this page
attempts to provide a list of some possible signs and symptoms of ADHD.
This medical information about signs and symptoms for ADHD has been gathered
from various sources,
may not be fully accurate,
and may not be the full list of ADHD signs or ADHD symptoms.
Furthermore, signs and symptoms of ADHD may vary on an individual basis for each patient.
Only your doctor can provide adequate diagnosis of any signs or symptoms and whether they
are indeed ADHD symptoms.
» Next page: Complications of ADHD
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: