Adhesive addiction: Introduction
Adhesive addiction: Adhesive addiction refers to the compulsive need to abuse adhesives (e.g. sniffing them). Sufferers have withdrawal symptoms when attempting to stop the habit and feel unable to stop the habit despite knowing the harm it is causing their health. Aerosols are very damaging to the body and can readily result permanent brain damage and even death. Death can occur through chronic use and in rare cases can occur after one session of use. Children and teenagers are particular at risk for this type of addiction - it is readily available and users feel it gains them greater acceptance from their peers. Adhesives includes household glue, rubber cement and model airplane glue.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Adhesive addiction is available below.
Symptoms of Adhesive addiction
- Withdrawal symptoms when attempting to stop
- Increased tolerance to effects of adhesive
- Compulsive urge to abuse adhesive
- Lying to others about adhesive abuse
- Using adhesive in secret
- more symptoms...»
See full list of 34
symptoms of Adhesive addiction
Treatments for Adhesive addiction
- Self-help programs, Behavioral therapy, Support group, Counselling, Medications - may be used to treat symptoms such as depression and seizures
- Recognition of the problem by the patient and family coupled with a desire for change
- Detoxification and management of withdrawal symptoms is a prolonged process due to chemical deposition in the fatty tissues. Evidence suggests that detoxification is best achieved in an inpatient setting in a facility capable of dealing with the complexity of problems associated with inhalant abuse
- Assessment and management of associated health problems such as nutritional deficiencies and neuropsychiatric impairment
- Management of learning difficulties predating or as a consequence of inhalant abuse
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Adhesive addiction
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Adhesive addiction:
- Child Behavior: Home Testing
- Mental Health (Adults): Home Testing
Wrongly Diagnosed with Adhesive addiction?
Adhesive addiction: Complications
Review possible medical complications related to Adhesive addiction:
Causes of Adhesive addiction
Read more about causes of Adhesive addiction.
Adhesive addiction: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Adhesive addiction
Undiagnosed stroke leads to misdiagnosed aphasia: BBC News UK reported on a man who
had been institutionalized and treated for mental illness
because he suffered from sudden inability to speak.
This was initially...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to various medical conditions,
such as a stroke...read more »
ADHD under-diagnosed in adults: Although the over-diagnoses of ADHD
in children is a well-known controversy, the reverse side related to adults.
Some adults can remain undiagnosed, and indeed the condition has usually been...read more »
Bipolar disorder misdiagosed as various conditions by primary physicians: Bipolar disorder (manic-depressive disorder)
often fails to be diagnosed correctly by primary care physicians.
Many patients with bipolar...read more »
Eating disorders under-diagnosed in men: The typical patient with
an eating disorder is female.
The result is that men with eating disorders often fail to be...read more »
Depression undiagnosed in teenagers: Serious bouts of depression can be
undiagnosed in teenagers.
The "normal" moodiness of teenagers can cause severe medical...read more »
Undiagnosed anxiety disorders related to depression: Patients with depression (see symptoms of depression)
may also have undiagnosed anxiety disorders ...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Adhesive addiction
Adhesive addiction: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Adhesive addiction
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Adhesive addiction:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Adhesive addiction,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Adhesive addiction: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Adhesive addiction: Broader Related Topics
Types of Adhesive addiction
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Adhesive addiction, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Adhesive addiction:
» Next page: What is Adhesive addiction?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: