Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset: Introduction
Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset: Alzheimer disease 2 (late-onset) is a form of Alzheimer's disease that is linked to a defect on chromosome 19q13.2. Alzheimer's disease is a progressive disorder involving degeneration of the brain. The disease mainly affects brain functions involving thinking, memory, personality and behaviour.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset is available below.
Symptoms of Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
See full list of 35
symptoms of Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
Treatments for Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- There is no cure for the condition so treatment is aimed at managing symptoms and slowing progression of the condition. Alzheimer medications (acetylcholinesterase inhibitors) and Namenda (NDMA antagonist) have varying degrees of benefits for patients - some patients have significant slowing of progression whereas others suffer a worsening of symptoms. Other medications are used to control symptoms e.g. depression, pain, agitation and insomnia. Other beneficial therapies and supportive measures includes: mental stimulation, supportive care and nursing homes.
- There is no known cure for Alzheimer's disease, but some medications may have benefit in preserving independence for a period of time, and prolonging the time that the patient can be managed at home. These include:
- Anticholinesterases - Donezepil, Galantamine, Rivastigmine, Tacrine
- NMDA antagonist - Memantine
- Management of neuropsychiatric symptoms is also important. Both drug and non-drug therapies are used. Medications utilised include:
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset?
Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset: Complications
Review possible medical complications related to Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset:
Causes of Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
Read more about causes of Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset.
Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
Undiagnosed stroke leads to misdiagnosed aphasia: BBC News UK reported on a man who
had been institutionalized and treated for mental illness
because he suffered from sudden...read more »
Alzheimer's disease over-diagnosed: The well-known disease of Alzheimer's disease
is often over-diagnosed.
Patients tend to assume that any memory loss or forgetulness symptom might be Alzheimer's,...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to various medical...read more »
Tremor need not be Parkinson's disease: There is the tendency to believe that
any tremor symptom, or shakiness, means Parkinson's disease.
The reality is that there are various possibilities, such as benign essential tremor,
which is...read more »
Mild traumatic brain injury often remains undiagnosed: Although the symptoms
of severe brain injury are hard to miss,
it is less clear for milder injuries, or even those causing a mild concussion diagnosis.
The condition goes by...read more »
ADHD under-diagnosed in adults: Although the over-diagnoses of ADHD
in children is a well-known controversy, the reverse side related to adults.
Some adults can remain undiagnosed, and indeed the condition...read more »
MTBI misdiagnosed as balance problem: When a person has symptoms
such as vertigo or dizziness, a diagnosis of brain injury may go overlooked.
This is particularly true of mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI), for which the...read more »
Rare diseases misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease: A rare genetic
disorder is often misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease for men in their 50's.
The disease Fragile X disorder can show only mild symptoms in the early years,
and Parkinsons...read more »
Bipolar disorder misdiagosed as various conditions by primary physicians: Bipolar disorder (manic-depressive disorder)
often fails to be diagnosed...read more »
Eating disorders under-diagnosed in men: The typical patient with
an eating disorder is female.
The result is that men with eating disorders often fail to be diagnosed or
have a...read more »
Depression undiagnosed in teenagers: Serious bouts of depression can be
undiagnosed in teenagers.
The "normal" moodiness of teenagers can cause severe medical depression
to be overlooked.
See misdiagnosis...read more »
Brain pressure condition often misdiagnosed as dementia: A condition
that results from an excessive pressure of CSF within the brain is often misdiagnosed.
It may be misdiagnosed as ...read more »
Post-concussive brain injury often misdiagnosed: A study found that soldiers who had
suffered a concussive injury in battle often were misdiagnosed on their return.
A variety of symptoms...read more »
Children with migraine often misdiagnosed: A migraine often fails to be
correctly diagnosed in pediatric patients.
These patients are not the typical migraine sufferers, but migraines...read more »
Undiagnosed anxiety disorders related to depression: Patients with depression (see symptoms of depression)
may also have undiagnosed anxiety disorders (see symptoms...read more »
Vitamin B12 deficiency under-diagnosed: The condition of Vitamin B12 deficiency
is a possible misdiagnosis of various conditions, such as multiple sclerosis (see symptoms of multiple sclerosis).
See symptoms of Vitamin B12...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
- Nerve Specialists:
- Mental Health Specialists:
- Neurology (Brain/CNS Specialists):
- more specialists...»
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset: Animations
More Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset animations & videos
Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset: Broader Related Topics
Types of Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset:
- Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- What is Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset?
- Videos related to Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Types of Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Causes of Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Symptoms of Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Diagnostic Tests for Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Home Testing and Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Signs of Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Complications of Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Misdiagnosis of Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Undiagnosed Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Treatments for Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Doctors and Medical Specialists for Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Hospital Statistics for Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset
- Glossary for Alzheimer disease 2, late-onset