Ankle Osteoarthritis: Introduction
Ankle Osteoarthritis: A form of arthritis where the cartilage which cushions the bones in the ankle joint as they move against each other, becomes progressively degraded and damaged. This causes problems such as pain, stiffness and impaired movement. Pain is not present in all cases however, with some patients imply suffering joint stiffness. Primary osteoarthritis occurs as the person ages but results from repetitive use and/or high mechanical stress on the joint. It is not a direct result of the aging process. Secondary osteoarthritis is the result of such things as injury to the joint, joint infection, obesity, ligament damage, joint overuse, hormonal problems, pregnancy and various other conditions. Family history seem to play a factor in developing the condition.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Ankle Osteoarthritis is available below.
Symptoms of Ankle Osteoarthritis
See full list of 13
symptoms of Ankle Osteoarthritis
Treatments for Ankle Osteoarthritis
- The damage is irreversible and treatment is aimed managing the pain, maintaining mobility of the joint and slowing the progression of the condition. Painkillers, anti-inflammatories, exercise and reducing stress on the joint may help alleviate symptoms. Studies have shown no conclusive benefits of supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin but some people may find they help. Joint replacement surgery may be required in severe cases that involve joints such as the hip or knee
- Treatment for osteoarthritis of the ankle depends on the severity of the symptoms, and the patients' age, general health and other medical conditions. Treatment is aimed at symptom control and modification of disease progression. Treatments include:
- Explanation - Education plays an important role in arthritis management
- Rest - during bouts of active inflammation
- Exercise - graduated exercise program recommended to maintain good joint function, especially in osteoarthritis
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Ankle Osteoarthritis
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Ankle Osteoarthritis:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Ankle Osteoarthritis?
Causes of Ankle Osteoarthritis
Read more about causes of Ankle Osteoarthritis.
Ankle Osteoarthritis: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Ankle Osteoarthritis
Alzheimer's disease over-diagnosed: The well-known disease of Alzheimer's disease
is often over-diagnosed.
Patients tend to assume that any memory loss or forgetulness...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to various medical conditions,...read more »
Tremor need not be Parkinson's disease: There is the tendency to believe that
any tremor symptom, or shakiness, means Parkinson's disease.
The reality is that there are various...read more »
Leg cramps at night a classic sign: The symptom of having leg muscle cramps,
particularly at night, is a classic sign of undiagnosed diabetes.
However, there are also various other causes.
See ...read more »
Rare diseases misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease: A rare genetic
disorder is often misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease for men in their 50's.
The disease Fragile X disorder can show only...read more »
Psoriatic arthritis often undiagnosed cause of joint conditions: Patients with the skin condition psoriasis
can also have the related arthritis subtype called "psoriatic arthritis".
This arthritic condition...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Ankle Osteoarthritis
Ankle Osteoarthritis: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
- Bone, Joint and Orthopedic Specialists:
- Pain Specialists:
- Arthritis & Joint Health Specialists (Rheumatology):
- Senior Health Specialists (Geriatrics):
- more specialists...»
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Ankle Osteoarthritis
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Ankle Osteoarthritis:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Ankle Osteoarthritis,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Ankle Osteoarthritis: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Evidence Based Medicine Research for Ankle Osteoarthritis
Medical research articles related to Ankle Osteoarthritis include:
Click here to find more evidence-based articles on the TRIP Database
Ankle Osteoarthritis: Animations
More Ankle Osteoarthritis animations & videos
Prognosis for Ankle Osteoarthritis
Prognosis for Ankle Osteoarthritis:
Varies considerable - some cases progress intermittently whereas others stabilize for long periods of time.
More about prognosis of Ankle Osteoarthritis
Research about Ankle Osteoarthritis
Visit our research pages for current research about Ankle Osteoarthritis treatments.
Ankle Osteoarthritis: Broader Related Topics
Types of Ankle Osteoarthritis
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Ankle Osteoarthritis, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Ankle Osteoarthritis: