Prognosis of Asthma
Prognosis for Asthma: Almost all asthma patients can become free of symptoms with proper
treatment. Patients and their families should expect nothing
less. (Source: excerpt from NHLBI -- Your Asthma Can Be Controlled: NHLBI)
...see also Overview of Asthma
Deaths and Mortality Rates
Deaths from Asthma: 5,637 deaths in 1995 (NHLBI); 4,657 deaths reported in USA 1999 (NVSR Sep 2001); approximately 5,000 deaths annually (NIAID)
Estimated mortality rate for Asthma from prevalence and deaths statistics:
- Deaths: 5,637 (USA annual deaths calculated from this data:
5,637 deaths in 1995 (NHLBI); 4,657 deaths reported in USA 1999 (NVSR Sep 2001); approximately 5,000 deaths annually (NIAID))
- Incidence: 17,408,000 (USA prevalence calculated from this data:
6.4% USA (NIAID); 17 million Americans (NIAID) including 5 million children; 8.1 million children (NHIS-97), 51 per 1000 - NHIS95; 14.5 million; 5% of population (NWHIC); 14.9 million in 1995 (NHLBI)
- 0.032% (ratio of deaths to prevalence).
- See also Deaths and Asthma and Overview of Asthma.
Complications of Asthma may include:
Complications of Asthma from the Diseases Database include:
Source: Diseases Database
See also complications of Asthma.
Death Statistics for Asthma
The following are statistics from various sources
about deaths related to Asthma:
- 5,000 deaths each year in the USA (Scientific American, 2000)
- 4,000 deaths annually in the US (Mayo Clinic)
- More than 24% of asthma deaths are African Americans in America (CBCF Health Organisation, 2004)
- 188% increase in African American children in America 1980-1993(CBCF Health Organisation, 2004)
- Death 4 to 6 times more likely for African American children in America 1993 (CBCF Health Organisation, 2004)
- more death statistics...»
Asthma: Research More
The 'prognosis' of Asthma usually refers to the likely outcome
The prognosis of Asthma
may include the duration of Asthma, chances of complications of Asthma,
prospects for recovery, recovery period for Asthma, survival rates,
and other outcome possibilities in the overall prognosis of Asthma.
Naturally, such forecast issues are by their nature unpredictable.
» Next page: Types of Asthma
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: