Chronic Discoid lupus
Chronic Discoid lupus: Introduction
Chronic Discoid lupus: Discoid lupus Erythematosus, being a chronic condition, is common among all age groups. Discoid lupus erythematosus is a chronic skin condition characterized by inflammation and scarring type skin lesions which occur on the face, ears, scalp and at times on other body areas.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Chronic Discoid lupus is available below.
Symptoms of Chronic Discoid lupus
- Discoid lupus erythematosus lesions (DLE) frequently are characteristic. The primary lesion is an erythematous papule or plaque with slight-to-moderate scaling As the lesion progresses, the scale may thicken and become adherent, and pigmentary changes may develop, with hypopigmentation in the central or inactive area and hyperpigmentation at the active border.
- Lesions spread centrifugally and may merge. As lesions age, dilation of follicular openings occurs with a keratinous plug, termed follicular plugging or patulous follicles.Resolution of the active lesion results in atrophy and scarring
- more symptoms...»
Read more about symptoms of Chronic Discoid lupus
Treatments for Chronic Discoid lupus
- Sun protective measures
- Cessation of smoking
- Cortisone ointment, applied to the skin in the involved areas, will often improve the lesions and slow down their progression or Intralesional injection of cortisone
- Topical calcineurin inhibitors
- Topical retinoids
- more treatments...»
See full list of 9
treatments for Chronic Discoid lupus
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Chronic Discoid lupus:
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Chronic Discoid lupus?
Chronic Discoid lupus: Related Patient Stories
Chronic Discoid lupus: Complications
Review possible medical complications related to Chronic Discoid lupus:
Causes of Chronic Discoid lupus
- The causes of Discoid lupus Erythematosus are unknown. It is thought that Discoid lupus Erythematosus may be an autoimmune disorder
- Genetic predisposition
- The disease usually manifests following UV light exposure, but other triggers or inciting factors also must contribute
- more causes...»
Read more about causes of Chronic Discoid lupus
More information about causes of Chronic Discoid lupus:
Chronic Discoid lupus: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Chronic Discoid lupus
Cluster of diseases with difficult diagnosis issues: There is a well-known list of
medical conditions that are all somewhat difficult to diagnose, and all can present
in a variety of...read more »
Alzheimer's disease over-diagnosed: The well-known disease of Alzheimer's disease
is often over-diagnosed.
Patients tend to assume that any memory loss or forgetulness...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to various...read more »
Rare type of breast cancer without a lump: There is a less common form
of breast cancer called inflammatory breast cancer.
Its symptoms can be an inflammation of the breast tissue, such as with a breast...read more »
Tremor need not be Parkinson's disease: There is the tendency to believe that
any tremor symptom, or shakiness, means Parkinson's disease.
The reality is that there are various...read more »
Rare diseases misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease: A rare genetic
disorder is often misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease for men in their 50's.
The disease Fragile X...read more »
Psoriasis often undiagnosed cause of skin symptoms in children: Children who suffer
from the skin disorder called psoriasis can often go undiagnosed.
The main problem is that psoriasis is...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Chronic Discoid lupus
Chronic Discoid lupus: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
- Spinal Specialists:
- Pregnancy & Fertility Health Specialists:
- Womens Health Specialists:
- Immune-Related Disease Specialists (Immunology):
- Skin Health Specialists (Dermatology):
- more specialists...»
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Chronic Discoid lupus
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Chronic Discoid lupus:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Chronic Discoid lupus,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Chronic Discoid lupus: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Chronic Discoid lupus: Animations
More Chronic Discoid lupus animations & videos
Chronic Discoid lupus: Broader Related Topics
Types of Chronic Discoid lupus
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Chronic Discoid lupus, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Chronic Discoid lupus: