Chronic meningitis: Introduction
Chronic meningitis: Chronic meningitis is an inflammation of the meninges with subacute onset and persisting cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) abnormalities lasting for at least one month.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Chronic meningitis is available below.
Symptoms of Chronic meningitis
- The symptoms of chronic meningitis are similar to those of acute bacterial meningitis, except that they develop more slowly and gradually, usually over weeks rather than days. Also, fever is often less severe.
- Headache, confusion, a stiff neck, and backache are common.
- People may have difficulty walking.
- Weakness, pins-and-needles sensations, numbness, facial paralysis, and double vision are also common.
- Facial paralysis and double vision occur when meningitis affects the cranial nerves
- more symptoms...»
Read more about symptoms of Chronic meningitis
Treatments for Chronic meningitis
- The cause of meningitis is to be treated
- Chronic meningitis due to sarcoidosis is usually treated with corticosteroids (such as prednisone) for several weeks
- Chronic meningitis due to cancer is treated with chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or both
- Treatment of chronic meningitis due to an infection depends on the organism. Chronic meningitis due to a fungus is usually treated with antifungal drugs given intravenously or by mouth. Amphotericin B, flucytosine, and fluconazole are used most often
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Chronic meningitis
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Chronic meningitis:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Chronic meningitis?
Causes of Chronic meningitis
See full list of 6
causes of Chronic meningitis
More information about causes of Chronic meningitis:
Chronic meningitis: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Chronic meningitis
Undiagnosed stroke leads to misdiagnosed aphasia: BBC News UK reported on a man who
had been institutionalized and treated for mental illness
because...read more »
Sinusitis is overdiagnosed: There is a tendency to give a diagnosis of sinusitis,
when the condition is really a harmless complication of another infection,
such as a common cold....read more »
Whooping cough often undiagnosed: Although most children in the Western world have been
immunized against whooping cough (also called "pertussis"), this...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to...read more »
Mild traumatic brain injury often remains undiagnosed: Although the symptoms
of severe brain injury are hard to miss,
it is less clear for milder injuries, or even those causing a mild concussion diagnosis.
The condition...read more »
MTBI misdiagnosed as balance problem: When a person has symptoms
such as vertigo or dizziness, a diagnosis of brain injury may go overlooked.
This is...read more »
Brain pressure condition often misdiagnosed as dementia: A condition
that results from an excessive pressure of CSF within the brain is often misdiagnosed.
It may...read more »
Post-concussive brain injury often misdiagnosed: A study found that soldiers who had
suffered a concussive injury in battle often were misdiagnosed on their return....read more »
Children with migraine often misdiagnosed: A migraine often fails to be
correctly diagnosed in pediatric patients.
These patients are not the typical migraine sufferers, but migraines can also occur in children.
See ...read more »
Vitamin B12 deficiency under-diagnosed: The condition of Vitamin B12 deficiency
is a possible misdiagnosis of various conditions, such as multiple sclerosis (see symptoms of multiple sclerosis)....read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Chronic meningitis
Chronic meningitis: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
- Nerve Specialists:
- Ear, Nose & Throat Specialists:
- Neurology (Brain/CNS Specialists):
- Stroke & Vascular Specialists:
- more specialists...»
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Chronic meningitis: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Chronic meningitis: Animations
More Chronic meningitis animations & videos
Prognosis for Chronic meningitis
Prognosis for Chronic meningitis:
However, most patients with idiopathic chronic meningitis have a relatively good outcome.
More about prognosis of Chronic meningitis
Chronic meningitis: Broader Related Topics
Types of Chronic meningitis
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Chronic meningitis, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Chronic meningitis:
» Next page: What is Chronic meningitis?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: