Treatments for Chronic Sinusitis
Treatments for Chronic Sinusitis:
The first step in treatment of sinusitis is prevention. Prevention measures include adequate diagnosis and treatment of allergies, avoiding exposure to infections, and good hygiene practices, such as frequent hand washing and not picking the nose.
The most successful treatment plan for chronic sinusitis uses a multipronged approach aimed at relieving nasal congestion, clearing the infection, improving breathing, and reducing pain and pressure in the sinuses. Treatments include using a humidifier to moisten and loosen nasal discharge and keeping the head elevated while sleeping to reduce pressure.
Medications used to treat chronic sinusitis include decongestants, which help to shrink inflamed and swollen sinusitis. These medications, such as Sudafed, can have serious side effects that can affect the heart in some people, especially if not used correctly. They should be used only as directed by a licensed health care clinician.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil) and aspirin may also be recommended used to control the pain and inflammation of sinusitis. However, aspirin should not be given to children and teens with a fever because of the risk of developing a serious, possibly fatal, disease called Reye's syndrome. Tylenol may also be recommended.
Saline nasal spray may be prescribed. A corticosteroid nasal spray may also be prescribed to reduce the inflammation and pain of sinusitis. Other medications include antibiotics if the sinus infection is caused by a bacterial infection or antifungal drugs if the infection is caused by a fungal infection. These medications will not work to treat sinusitis caused by a virus.
For some people who do not get relief with other measures, surgery may be an option to expand the opening of the infected sinus.
Treatment List for Chronic Sinusitis
The list of treatments mentioned in various sources
for Chronic Sinusitis
includes the following list.
Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment
or change in treatment plans.
Chronic Sinusitis: Is the Diagnosis Correct?
The first step in getting correct treatment is
to get a correct diagnosis.
Differential diagnosis list for Chronic Sinusitis may include:
Hidden causes of Chronic Sinusitis may be incorrectly diagnosed:
Chronic Sinusitis: Marketplace Products, Discounts & Offers
Products, offers and promotion categories available for Chronic Sinusitis:
Chronic Sinusitis: Research Doctors & Specialists
- Ear, Nose & Throat Specialists:
- Pain Specialists:
- Lung Health Specialists (Pulmonologist):
- more specialists...»
Research all specialists including ratings, affiliations, and sanctions.
Unlabeled Drugs and Medications to treat Chronic Sinusitis:
Unlabelled alternative drug treatments for Chronic Sinusitis include:
- Flunisolide - used in conjunction with an antibiotic
- AeroBid - used in conjunction with an antibiotic
- AeroBid-M - used in conjunction with an antibiotic
- Bronalide - used in conjunction with an antibiotic
- Nasalide - used in conjunction with an antibiotic
- Nu-Flunisolide - used in conjunction with an antibiotic
- Rhinalar - used in conjunction with an antibiotic
Latest treatments for Chronic Sinusitis:
The following are some of the latest treatments for Chronic Sinusitis:
Hospital statistics for Chronic Sinusitis:
These medical statistics relate to hospitals, hospitalization and Chronic Sinusitis:
- 0.045% (5,691) of hospital consultant episodes were for chronic sinusitis in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 97% of hospital consultant episodes for chronic sinusitis required hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 47% of hospital consultant episodes for chronic sinusitis were for men in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 53% of hospital consultant episodes for chronic sinusitis were for women in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- more hospital information...»
Hospitals & Medical Clinics: Chronic Sinusitis
Research quality ratings and patient incidents/safety measures
for hospitals and medical facilities in specialties related to Chronic Sinusitis:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Treatment Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Chronic Sinusitis,
on hospital and medical facility performance and surgical care quality:
Buy Products Related to Treatments for Chronic Sinusitis