Deletion 5p: Introduction
Deletion 5p: A rare chromosomal disorder involving deletion of the genetic material from the short arm (p) of chromosome 5 which results in various abnormalities. The resulting condition is often called Cri-du-Chat Syndrome and features may vary somewhat depending on the size and location of the portion of duplicated genetic material.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Deletion 5p is available below.
Symptoms of Deletion 5p
See full list of 50
symptoms of Deletion 5p
Treatments for Deletion 5p
- Treatment varies depending on the type and severity of symptom that develop
- Surgery may be needed to correct defects or abnormalities e.g. heart defects, facial abnormalities
- Access to programs and services as required e.g. physical therapy, speech therapy, educational support, social, vocational and medical services
- Various symptomatic and supportive measures as required e.g. managing constipation and ear infections as the develop or providing support for developing sign language skills to improve communication
- Behavior modification programs may be needed to manage behavioral problems
- more treatments...»
See full list of 6
treatments for Deletion 5p
Wrongly Diagnosed with Deletion 5p?
Deletion 5p: Related Patient Stories
Deletion 5p: Complications
Review possible medical complications related to Deletion 5p:
Causes of Deletion 5p
Read more about causes of Deletion 5p.
Prognosis for Deletion 5p
Prognosis for Deletion 5p:
The prognosis varies depending on the type and severity of symptoms that develop. Prompt diagnosis and appropriate treatment can improve prognosis and quality of life. About a tenth of patients die in the first years of life due to breathing or heart problems. A normal life expectancy can occur in patients who do not have severe defects or whose defects are corrected.
More about prognosis of Deletion 5p
Statistics for Deletion 5p
Deletion 5p: Broader Related Topics
Types of Deletion 5p
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Deletion 5p, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Definitions of Deletion 5p:
Ophanet, a consortium of European partners,
currently defines a condition rare when it affects 1 person per 2,000.
They list Deletion 5p as a "rare disease".
Source - Orphanet
Contents for Deletion 5p:
» Next page: What is Deletion 5p?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: