Prevalence and Incidence of Diphtheria
Ophanet, who are a consortium of European partners,
currently defines a condition rare when if affects 1 person per 2,000.
They list Diphtheria as a "rare disease".
More information about Diphtheria is available from Orphanet
Incidence (annual) of Diphtheria:
1 annual case notified in USA 1999 (MMWR 1999) ... see also overview of Diphtheria.
approx 1 in 272,000,000 or 0.00% or 1 people in USA [Source statistic for calcuation: "1 annual case notified in USA 1999 (MMWR 1999)" -- see also general information about data sources]
Incidence extrapolations for USA for Diphtheria:
1 per year,
0 per month,
0 per week,
0 per day,
0 per hour,
0 per minute,
0 per second.
[Source statistic for calculation: "1 annual case notified in USA 1999 (MMWR 1999)" -- see also general information about data sources]
Incidence of types of Diphtheria:
For details see incidence of types of Diphtheria analysis; summary of available incidence by type data:
Prevalance of Diphtheria:
Approximately 0.001 cases per 100,000
population in the U.S. since 1980; before the introduction
of vaccine in the 1920s incidence was 100-200 cases per 100,000
population. Diphtheria remains endemic in developing countries.
The countries of the former Soviet Union have reported >150,000
cases in an epidemic which began in 1990. (Source: excerpt from Diphtheria: DBMD)
Incidence statistics for Diphtheria:
The following statistics relate to the incidence of Diphtheria:
- 0 new cases of diphtheria per 100,000 population was notified in Australia 2002 (Yohannes K, Roche P, Blumer C et al. 2004, Australia’s Health 2004, AIHW)
- 0 new cases of diphtheria was notified in Australia 2002 (Yohannes K, Roche P, Blumer C et al. 2004, Australia’s Health 2004, AIHW)
- Diptheria incidence statistics for various countries:
- 5 registered cases in children in Bolivia 2002 (Regional Core Health Data Initiative, Pan American Health Organisation, 2003)
- 6 registered cases in children in Brazil 2002 (Regional Core Health Data Initiative, Pan American Health Organisation, 2003)
- more statistics...»
Death statistics for Diphtheria:
The following statistics relate to deaths and Diphtheria:
- About 2,000 deaths from diptheria in Africa 2002 (The World Health Report, WHO, 2004)
- About 3,000 deaths from diptheria in South East Asia 2002 (The World Health Report, WHO, 2004)
- more statistics...»
More Statistics about Diphtheria:
Deaths and related statistics
All statistics for Diphtheria
About prevalence and incidence statistics:
The term 'prevalence' of Diphtheria usually refers to the estimated population
of people who are managing Diphtheria at any given time.
The term 'incidence' of Diphtheria refers to the annual diagnosis rate,
or the number of new cases of Diphtheria diagnosed each year.
Hence, these two statistics types can differ:
a short-lived disease like flu can have high annual incidence but low prevalence,
but a life-long disease like diabetes has a low annual incidence but high prevalence.
For more information see about prevalence and incidence statistics.