Discoid Lupus: Introduction
Discoid Lupus: Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is a form of lupus erythematosus marked by chronic skin eruptions. It is a chronic skin condition of sores with inflammation and scarring favoring the face, ears, and scalp and at times on other body areas.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Discoid Lupus is available below.
Symptoms of Discoid Lupus
- DLE lesions are raised, red, scaling plaques, with follicular plugging and central atrophy. The raised edges and sunken centers give them a coinlike appearance.
- Although these lesions can appear anywhere on the body, they usually erupt on the face, scalp, ears, neck, and arms or on any part of the body that's exposed to sunlight.
- Hair tends to become brittle or may fall out in patches; alopecia can be permanent.
- more symptoms...»
Read more about symptoms of Discoid Lupus
Treatments for Discoid Lupus
- Avoid prolonged exposure to the sun, fluorescent lighting, or reflected sunlight
- They should wear protective clothing, use sunscreening agents
- Avoid engaging in outdoor activities during periods of most intense sunlight (between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. ), and report any changes in the lesions
- Cortisone ointments or intralesional injections
- Drug treatment consists of topical, intralesional, or systemic medication, as in SLE
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Discoid Lupus
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Discoid Lupus:
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Discoid Lupus?
Discoid Lupus: Related Patient Stories
Alternative Treatments for Discoid Lupus
Alternative treatments or home remedies that have been listed in various sources as possibly beneficial for Discoid Lupus may include:
Discoid Lupus: Complications
Review possible medical complications related to Discoid Lupus:
- If untreated, can lead to scarring and permanent disfigurement. About 1 out of 20 patients with OLE later develops systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- more complications...»
Causes of Discoid Lupus
- The exact cause is unknown, but it is thought to be autoimmune with the body's immune system incorrectly attacking normal skin
- This condition tends to run in families
- In some patients with discoid lupus erythematosus, sunlight and cigarette smoking may make the lesions come out
- more causes...»
Read more about causes of Discoid Lupus
More information about causes of Discoid Lupus:
Discoid Lupus: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Discoid Lupus
Cluster of diseases with difficult diagnosis issues: There is a well-known list of
medical conditions that are all somewhat difficult to diagnose, and all can present
in a variety of different severities.
Diseases in this group...read more »
Alzheimer's disease over-diagnosed: The well-known disease of Alzheimer's disease
is often over-diagnosed.
Patients tend to assume that any memory loss or forgetulness symptom might be...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to various medical conditions,
such as a stroke or Alzheimer's disease,
it...read more »
Rare type of breast cancer without a lump: There is a less common form
of breast cancer called inflammatory breast cancer.
Its symptoms can be an inflammation of the breast tissue, such as with a breast rash
with redness and...read more »
Tremor need not be Parkinson's disease: There is the tendency to believe that
any tremor symptom, or shakiness, means Parkinson's disease.
The reality is that there are various...read more »
Rare diseases misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease: A rare genetic
disorder is often misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease for men in their 50's.
The disease Fragile X disorder can show only mild symptoms in the early years,
and Parkinsons...read more »
Psoriasis often undiagnosed cause of skin symptoms in children: Children who suffer
from the skin disorder called psoriasis can often go undiagnosed.
The main problem is that psoriasis is rare in children, and not often
seen by...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Discoid Lupus
Discoid Lupus: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
- Spinal Specialists:
- Pregnancy & Fertility Health Specialists:
- Womens Health Specialists:
- Immune-Related Disease Specialists (Immunology):
- Skin Health Specialists (Dermatology):
- more specialists...»
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Discoid Lupus
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Discoid Lupus:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Discoid Lupus,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Discoid Lupus: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Discoid Lupus: Animations
More Discoid Lupus animations & videos
Discoid Lupus: Broader Related Topics
Types of Discoid Lupus
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Discoid Lupus, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Discoid Lupus:
» Next page: What is Discoid Lupus?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: