Prognosis of Emphysema
Prognosis of Emphysema: Emphysema is an irreversible degenerative condition. The most important measure to slow its progression is for the patient to stop smoking and avoid all exposure to cigarette smoke and lung irritants. Pulmonary rehabilitation can be very helpful to optimize the patient's quality of life. ...see also Overview of Emphysema
Deaths and Mortality Rates
Deaths from Emphysema: 17,787 deaths reported in USA 1999 (NVSR Sep 2001)
Estimated mortality rate for Emphysema from prevalence and deaths statistics:
- Deaths: 17,787 (USA annual deaths calculated from this data:
17,787 deaths reported in USA 1999 (NVSR Sep 2001))
- Incidence: 2,000,000 (USA prevalence calculated from this data:
2 million Americans (NHLBI); 17 per 1000 - NHIS95; 2 million annually
- 0.89% (ratio of deaths to prevalence).
- See also Deaths and Emphysema and Overview of Emphysema.
Complications of Emphysema may include:
Complications of Emphysema from the Diseases Database include:
Source: Diseases Database
See also complications of Emphysema.
Death Statistics for Emphysema
The following are statistics from various sources
about deaths related to Emphysema:
- 16,242 people died from emphysema each year in the US 2001 (Deaths: Final Data for 2001, NCHS, CDC)
- 5.7 people per 100,000 population died from emphysema each year in the US 2001 (Deaths: Final Data for 2001, NCHS, CDC)
- Death statistics for various countries worldwide:
- Bronchitis, emphysema and asthma caused 20 male deaths per 100,000 population in Australia 2002 (WHO 2004; AIHW National Mortality Database, Australia’s Health 2004)
- Bronchitis, emphysema and asthma caused 5 male deaths per 100,000 population in Canada 1998 (WHO 2004; AIHW National Mortality Database, Australia’s Health 2004)
- Bronchitis, emphysema and asthma caused 15 male deaths per 100,000 population in Czech Republic 2000 (WHO 2004; AIHW National Mortality Database, Australia’s Health 2004)
- more death statistics...»
Emphysema: Research More
The 'prognosis' of Emphysema usually refers to the likely outcome
The prognosis of Emphysema
may include the duration of Emphysema, chances of complications of Emphysema,
prospects for recovery, recovery period for Emphysema, survival rates,
and other outcome possibilities in the overall prognosis of Emphysema.
Naturally, such forecast issues are by their nature unpredictable.
» Next page: Types of Emphysema
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: