Ependymoma: A tumor that occurs in the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). Symptoms vary according to the aggressiveness, size and exact location of the tumor.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Ependymoma is available below.
Symptoms of Ependymoma
See full list of 21
symptoms of Ependymoma
Treatments for Ependymoma
Read more about treatments for Ependymoma
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Ependymoma:
- Colon & Rectal Cancer: Home Testing
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Ependymoma?
Review possible medical complications related to Ependymoma:
Causes of Ependymoma
Read more about causes of Ependymoma.
Ependymoma: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Ependymoma
Undiagnosed stroke leads to misdiagnosed aphasia: BBC News UK reported on a man who
had been institutionalized and treated for mental illness
because he suffered from sudden inability to speak.
This was initially...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to various...read more »
Spitz nevi misdiagnosed as dangerous melanoma skin cancer: One possible misdiagnosis to
consider in lieu of melanoma is spitz nevi.
See melanoma and spitz nevi....read more »
Mild traumatic brain injury often remains undiagnosed: Although the symptoms
of severe brain injury are hard to miss,
it is less clear for milder injuries, or even those causing a mild concussion diagnosis.
The condition goes by the name...read more »
MTBI misdiagnosed as balance problem: When a person has symptoms
such as vertigo or dizziness, a diagnosis of brain injury may go overlooked.
This is...read more »
Brain pressure condition often misdiagnosed as dementia: A condition
that results from an excessive pressure of CSF within the brain is often misdiagnosed.
It may be...read more »
Post-concussive brain injury often misdiagnosed: A study found that soldiers who had
suffered a concussive injury in battle often were misdiagnosed on their return.
A variety of...read more »
Children with migraine often misdiagnosed: A migraine often fails to be
correctly diagnosed in pediatric patients.
These patients are not the typical migraine sufferers, but migraines can also occur in children.
See misdiagnosis of...read more »
Vitamin B12 deficiency under-diagnosed: The condition of Vitamin B12 deficiency
is a possible misdiagnosis of various conditions, such as multiple sclerosis (see symptoms of multiple sclerosis).
See symptoms of Vitamin B12 deficiency...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Ependymoma
Ependymoma: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Ependymoma
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Ependymoma:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Ependymoma,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Ependymoma: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
More Ependymoma animations & videos
Research about Ependymoma
Visit our research pages for current research about Ependymoma treatments.
Clinical Trials for Ependymoma
The US based website ClinicalTrials.gov lists information on both federally
and privately supported clinical trials using human volunteers.
Some of the clinical trials listed on ClinicalTrials.gov for Ependymoma include:
- Combination Chemotherapy Followed by Radiation Therapy in Treating Patients With Medulloblastoma, Supratentorial Primitive Neuroectodermal Tumor, or Ependymoma - This study has been completed (Current: 23 Nov 2006) - cisplatin,cyclophosphamide,etoposide,filgrastim,methotrexate,vincristine
- Combination Chemotherapy in Treating Children With Astrocytomas and Primitive Neuroectodermal Tumors - This study is no longer recruiting patients (Current: 23 Nov 2006) - leucovorin calcium,mechlorethamine,methotrexate,prednisone,procarbazine,vincristine
- Etoposide Plus Cisplatin in Treating Patients With Recurrent Ependymomas - This study is no longer recruiting patients (Current: 23 Nov 2006) - cisplatin,etoposide
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Determining Extent of Cancer in Patients With Newly Diagnosed Glioma - This study has been completed (Current: 23 Nov 2006) - dexamethasone
- Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging and 1H-Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopic Imaging in Treating Patients With Newly Diagnosed Brain Tumors - This study has been completed (Current: 23 Nov 2006)
- more trials...»
See full list of 130
Clinical Trials for Ependymoma
Statistics for Ependymoma
Ependymoma: Broader Related Topics
Types of Ependymoma
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Ependymoma, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Definitions of Ependymoma:
Ependymoma (WHO grade II) is the most common ependymal neoplasm. It is a slow growing tumor of children and young adults and is usually located intraventricularly. It often causes clinical symptoms by blocking CSF pathways. Key histological features include perivascular pseudorosettes and ependymal rosettes.(Adapted from WHO)
- (Source - Diseases Database)
Ependymoma is listed as a "rare disease" by the Office of
Rare Diseases (ORD) of the National Institutes of Health
(NIH). This means that Ependymoma, or a subtype of Ependymoma,
affects less than 200,000 people in the US population.
Source - National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Ophanet, a consortium of European partners,
currently defines a condition rare when it affects 1 person per 2,000.
They list Ependymoma as a "rare disease".
Source - Orphanet
» Next page: What is Ependymoma?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: