Giant cell tumor
Giant cell tumor: Introduction
Giant cell tumor: Giant cell tumor of bone (GCT) is a rare, aggressive non-cancerous (benign) tumor.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Giant cell tumor is available below.
Symptoms of Giant cell tumor
- They most frequently occur around the knee joint in the lower end of the thighbone (femur) or the upper end of the shinbone (tibia).
- The first symptom most patients notice is pain in the area of the tumor.
- There may be pain with movement of a nearby joint. Pain generally increases with activity and decreases with rest. Pain is usually mild at first, but it progressively increases.
- Occasionally the bone weakened by the tumor may break and cause sudden onset of severe pain. Sometimes patients will notice a mass or swollen area that may not be painful.
- more symptoms...»
Read more about symptoms of Giant cell tumor
Treatments for Giant cell tumor
- Radiation therapy is a nonsurgical treatment option that has proven effective
- Scooping out the tumor (curettage) is generally performed
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Giant cell tumor
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Giant cell tumor:
- Colon & Rectal Cancer: Home Testing
- Cancer-Related Home Testing:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Giant cell tumor?
Causes of Giant cell tumor
- Giant cell tumors of bone occur spontaneously. They are not known to be associated with trauma, environmental factors, or diet. They are not inherited. In rare cases, they may be associated with hyperparathyroidism
- more causes...»
Read more about causes of Giant cell tumor
More information about causes of Giant cell tumor:
Giant cell tumor: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Giant cell tumor
Spitz nevi misdiagnosed as dangerous melanoma skin cancer: One possible misdiagnosis to
consider in lieu of melanoma is spitz nevi.
See melanoma and spitz nevi....read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Giant cell tumor
Giant cell tumor: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Giant cell tumor
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Giant cell tumor:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Giant cell tumor,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Giant cell tumor: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Evidence Based Medicine Research for Giant cell tumor
Medical research articles related to Giant cell tumor include:
Click here to find more evidence-based articles on the TRIP Database
Research about Giant cell tumor
Visit our research pages for current research about Giant cell tumor treatments.
Clinical Trials for Giant cell tumor
The US based website ClinicalTrials.gov lists information on both federally
and privately supported clinical trials using human volunteers.
Some of the clinical trials listed on ClinicalTrials.gov for Giant cell tumor include:
Read more about Clinical Trials for Giant cell tumor
Giant cell tumor: Broader Related Topics
Types of Giant cell tumor
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Giant cell tumor, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Giant cell tumor:
» Next page: What is Giant cell tumor?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: