Cure Research for Hemochromatosis
Latest Treatments for Hemochromatosis
Some of the more recent treatments for Hemochromatosis include:
Treatments for Hemochromatosis
Treatments to consider for Hemochromatosis may include:
- Phlebotomy (bloodletting) - similar to donating blood
- Avoid iron supplements
- Avoid vitamin C - because vitamin C increases iron digestion.
- Avoid alcohol - to avoid exacerbating liver damage
- Avoiding high-iron foods - simply eat less iron.
- Low-iron diets - are not particularly useful
- Chelation therapy - An alternative medical therapy for lowering blood iron levels.
- more treatments...»
Cure Research discussion for Hemochromatosis:
Current research in hemochromatosis is concentrated in four areas:
Genetics. Scientists are working to understand more about how
the HFE gene normally regulates iron levels.
Pathogenesis.Scientists are studying how iron injures body
cells. Iron is an essential nutrient, but above a certain level it can
damage or even kill the cell.
Epidemiology.Research is underway to explain why the amounts of
iron people normally store in their bodies differ and why day-to-day
fluctuations in an individual's own iron stores occur. Research is also
being conducted to determine how many people with the defective HFE gene
go on to develop symptoms, as well as why some people develop symptoms and
others do not.
Screening and Testing. Scientists are working to determine at
what age testing is most effective, which groups should be tested, and
what the best tests for widespread screening are.
(Source: excerpt from Hemochromatosis: NIDDK)
Clinical Trials for Hemochromatosis
Some of the clinical trials for Hemochromatosis include:
» Next page: Deaths from Hemochromatosis
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: