Treatments for Hiatal hernia
Treatments for Hiatal hernia:
Treatment plans for hiatal hernia are individualized depending on the severity of symptoms, specific type of hiatal hernia, the presence of coexisting diseases, such s GERD, the age and medical history of the patient, and other factors. Treatment generally involves a multifaceted plan that minimizes the discomfort of heartburn and indigestion, and decreases the risk of developing complications, such as strangulated hiatal hernia.
The first step in treating hiatal hernia is prevention. Prevention and treatment includes loosing excess weight. It is also important not to smoke or drink alcohol, coffee and acidic beverages to excess.
It is generally helpful to avoid large meals and eat several small meals every day. People with symptoms of hiatal hernia should not eat late at night or up to two hours before bedtime. Elevating the head of the bed during sleep may also help to minimize symptoms. Clothing should be loose and not increase pressure on or constrict the abdomen.
Medications are also used in the treatment of hiatal hernia. They may include the use of over-the-counter antacids, such as Tums, Tagamet or Pepcid.
For more serious cases of hiatal hernia accompanied by GERD, drug treatment may include a proton pump inhibitor, which decreases the production of stomach acid. Drugs called H2 blockers also reduce stomach acid. Medications called prokinetics may be prescribed to make the stomach empty faster.
Severe cases of hiatal hernia may require hospitalization and surgery. These cases may include hiatal hernia accompanied by GERD, paraesophageal hernia, strangulated hiatal hernia, and obstructed hiatal hernia.
Treatment List for Hiatal hernia
The list of treatments mentioned in various sources
for Hiatal hernia
includes the following list.
Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment
or change in treatment plans.
Alternative Treatments for Hiatal hernia
Alternative treatments or home remedies that have been listed as possibly helpful for Hiatal hernia may include:
- Calcarea carbonica homeopathic remedy
- Lachesis homeopathic remedy
- Belladonna homeopathic remedy
- more treatments »
Hiatal hernia: Marketplace Products, Discounts & Offers
Products, offers and promotion categories available for Hiatal hernia:
Hiatal hernia: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research all specialists including ratings, affiliations, and sanctions.
Drugs and Medications used to treat Hiatal hernia:
Note:You must always seek professional medical advice about any prescription drug, OTC drug, medication, treatment
or change in treatment plans.
Some of the different medications used in the treatment of Hiatal hernia include:
- Magaldrate and Simethicone
- Andrews Tums
- Degas Extra
- DeWitt's Antacid
- Gastrogel Tablets
- Mylanta Original
- Mylanta Double Strength
- Sigma Liquid Antacid
- Gaviscon Double Strength
- Infant Gaviscon
- Mucaine 2 in 1
- Mylanta Heartburn Relief
- Mylanta Rolltabsa
- Titralac SIL
Latest treatments for Hiatal hernia:
The following are some of the latest treatments for Hiatal hernia:
Hospital statistics for Hiatal hernia:
These medical statistics relate to hospitals, hospitalization and Hiatal hernia:
- 0.32% (41,306) of hospital consultant episodes were for diaphragmatic hernia in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 93% of hospital consultant episodes for diaphragmatic hernia required hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 39% of hospital consultant episodes for diaphragmatic hernia were for men in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 61% of hospital consultant episodes for diaphragmatic hernia were for women in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 4% of hospital consultant episodes for diaphragmatic hernia required emergency hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- more hospital information...»
Hospitals & Medical Clinics: Hiatal hernia
Research quality ratings and patient incidents/safety measures
for hospitals and medical facilities in specialties related to Hiatal hernia:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Treatment Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Hiatal hernia,
on hospital and medical facility performance and surgical care quality:
Medical news summaries about treatments for Hiatal hernia:
The following medical news items
are relevant to treatment of Hiatal hernia:
Discussion of treatments for Hiatal hernia:
You should not worry about having a hiatal hernia. Many people over the
age of 50 have such a hernia, and it does not need treatment unless
heartburn or GERD is present and causes significant discomfort, or unless
the hernia is in danger of becoming twisted and cutting off the stomach's
Treatment may also be considered if you have complications
such as severe GERD or esophagitis, which is an inflammation of the
esophagus. In such cases, the doctor may recommend surgery to repair the
If a hiatal hernia is causing symptoms, the following tips may help:
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals.
- Avoid foods and drinks that may cause symptoms.
- Avoid lying down for 3 hours after eating.
- Raise the head of your bed 4 to 8 inches.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing around your waist.
- Take acid-reducing medications.
- Lose weight
(Source: excerpt from Hiatal Hernia: NIDDK
Buy Products Related to Treatments for Hiatal hernia