Inhalant addiction: Introduction
Inhalant addiction: Inhalant addiction refers to the compulsive need to abuse inhalants (e.g. inhaling them). Sufferers have withdrawal symptoms when attempting to stop the habit and feel unable to stop the habit despite knowing the harm it is causing their health. Inhalants are very damaging to the body and can readily result permanent brain damage and even death. Death can occur through chronic use and in rare cases can occur after one session of use. Children and teenagers are particular at risk for this type of addiction - it is readily available and users feel it gains them greater acceptance from their peers. Inhalants includes glues, shoe polish, household cleaners, room deodorizers and nail polish removers.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Inhalant addiction is available below.
Symptoms of Inhalant addiction
- Withdrawal symptoms when attempting to stop
- Increased tolerance to inhalants
- Compulsive urge to abuse inhalants
- Lying to others about inhalant abuse
- Abusing inhalants in secret
- more symptoms...»
See full list of 34
symptoms of Inhalant addiction
Treatments for Inhalant addiction
- Self-help programs, Behavioral therapy, Support group, Counselling, Medications - may be used to treat symptoms such as depression and seizures
- Recognition of the problem by the patient and family coupled with a desire for change
- Detoxification and management of withdrawal symptoms is a prolonged process due to chemical deposition in the fatty tissues. Evidence suggests that detoxification is best achieved in an inpatient setting in a facility capable of dealing with the complexity of problems associated with inhalant abuse
- Assessment and management of associated health problems such as nutritional deficiencies and neuropsychiatric impairment
- Management of learning difficulties predating or as a consequence of inhalant abuse
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Inhalant addiction
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Inhalant addiction:
- Child Behavior: Home Testing
- Mental Health (Adults): Home Testing
Wrongly Diagnosed with Inhalant addiction?
Inhalant addiction: Complications
Review possible medical complications related to Inhalant addiction:
Causes of Inhalant addiction
Read more about causes of Inhalant addiction.
Inhalant addiction: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Inhalant addiction
Undiagnosed stroke leads to misdiagnosed aphasia: BBC News UK reported on a man who
had been institutionalized and treated for mental illness...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to various...read more »
ADHD under-diagnosed in adults: Although the over-diagnoses of ADHD
in children is a well-known controversy, the reverse side related to adults.
Some adults can remain undiagnosed, and indeed the condition has usually been
overlooked...read more »
Bipolar disorder misdiagosed as various conditions by primary physicians: Bipolar disorder (manic-depressive disorder)
often fails to be diagnosed correctly by primary care physicians.
Many patients with bipolar seek...read more »
Eating disorders under-diagnosed in men: The typical patient with
an eating disorder is female.
The result is that men with eating disorders often fail to be diagnosed or
have a delayed diagnosis.
See ...read more »
Depression undiagnosed in teenagers: Serious bouts of depression can be
undiagnosed in teenagers.
The "normal" moodiness of teenagers can cause severe medical depression
to be overlooked.
See ...read more »
Undiagnosed anxiety disorders related to depression: Patients with depression (see symptoms of depression)
may also have undiagnosed anxiety...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Inhalant addiction
Inhalant addiction: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Inhalant addiction
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Inhalant addiction:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Inhalant addiction,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Inhalant addiction: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Inhalant addiction: Broader Related Topics
Types of Inhalant addiction
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Inhalant addiction, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Inhalant addiction:
» Next page: What is Inhalant addiction?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: