Lipoedema: A medical term used to describe the accumulation of fat cells in large number. It most commonly affects the legs (from the hips to the ankles) and occurs mainly in women. If it does occur in males, it is usually the result of hormonal problems or chronic liver disease.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Lipoedema is available below.
Symptoms of Lipoedema
- Increased size of parts of body - mainly soft tissue of upper legs
- Dimpled skin
- Increased sensitivity to pain in affected areas
- Easy bruising in affected areas
- Diet and exercise will not resolve symptoms
- more symptoms...»
Read more about symptoms of Lipoedema
Treatments for Lipoedema
- There is no cure for the condition and treatment is aimed at maintaining effective lymph system drainage by using such things as compression garments or massage
- Compression - compression garments
- Manual lymph drainage - massage
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Lipoedema
Wrongly Diagnosed with Lipoedema?
Alternative Treatments for Lipoedema
Alternative treatments or home remedies that have been listed in various sources as possibly beneficial for Lipoedema may include:
- Ayurvedic cleansing program (panchakarma)
- Exercise, localized to cellulite area
- Ayurvedic dietary changes
- Avoid saturated fat
- more treatments »
Review possible medical complications related to Lipoedema:
Causes of Lipoedema
Read more about causes of Lipoedema.
Misdiagnosis and Lipoedema
Leg cramps at night a classic sign: The symptom of having leg muscle cramps,
particularly at night, is a classic sign of undiagnosed diabetes.
However, there are also various other causes.
See ...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Lipoedema
Lipoedema: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
More Lipoedema animations & videos
Lipoedema: Broader Related Topics
Types of Lipoedema
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Lipoedema, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
» Next page: What is Lipoedema?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: