Mixed-state bipolar disorder
Mixed-state bipolar disorder: Introduction
Mixed-state bipolar disorder: Mixed bipolar disorder is a form of mental illness. In most forms of bipolar disorder, moods alternate between elevated and depressed over time. A person with mixed bipolar disorder experiences both mood "poles" -- mania and depression -- simultaneously or in rapid sequence.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Mixed-state bipolar disorder is available below.
Symptoms of Mixed-state bipolar disorder
- Periods of mania and depression that occur at the same time, or in rapid sequence. These combined manic-depressive periods are called mixed mania or mixed manic episodes:
- Mania in mixed episodes usually involves irritability, racing thoughts and speech, and overactivity or agitation.
- Depression in mixed bipolar disorder is similar to "regular" depression, with feelings of sadness, loss of interest in activities, low energy, feelings of guilt and worthlessness, and thoughts of suicide.
- Mixed manic episodes can last from days to years, if untreated. Mixed bipolar disorder episodes tend to last longer than other forms of bipolar disorder.
- more symptoms...»
Read more about symptoms of Mixed-state bipolar disorder
Treatments for Mixed-state bipolar disorder
- Mixed manic episodes generally require treatment with medicines. Unfortunately, mixed bipolar disorder is more difficult to control than other forms of bipolar disorder. The main medicines for mixed manic episodes are mood stabilizers and antipyschotics
- Mood stabilizers-Lithium ,Depakote
- Electroconvulsive Therapy
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Mixed-state bipolar disorder
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Mixed-state bipolar disorder:
- Child Behavior: Home Testing
- Mental Health (Adults): Home Testing
Wrongly Diagnosed with Mixed-state bipolar disorder?
Mixed-state bipolar disorder: Complications
Review possible medical complications related to Mixed-state bipolar disorder:
- The most serious complication of mixed bipolar disorder is suicide. People with bipolar disorder are 10 to 20 times more likely to commit suicide than people without bipolar disorder. Tragically, 8% to 20% of people with bipolar disorder eventually lose their lives to suicide
- more complications...»
Causes of Mixed-state bipolar disorder
- People with an immediate family member with bipolar are at higher risk
- more causes...»
Read more about causes of Mixed-state bipolar disorder
More information about causes of Mixed-state bipolar disorder:
Mixed-state bipolar disorder: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Mixed-state bipolar disorder
Cluster of diseases with difficult diagnosis issues: There is a well-known list of
medical conditions that are all somewhat difficult to diagnose, and all can present
in a...read more »
Undiagnosed stroke leads to misdiagnosed aphasia: BBC News UK reported on a man who
had been institutionalized and treated for mental illness
because he suffered from sudden inability to speak.
This was...read more »
Alzheimer's disease over-diagnosed: The well-known disease of Alzheimer's disease
is often over-diagnosed.
Patients tend to assume that any memory loss or forgetulness symptom might be Alzheimer's,
whereas there are many other less...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to various medical conditions,
such as a stroke or Alzheimer's...read more »
ADHD under-diagnosed in adults: Although the over-diagnoses of ADHD
in children is a well-known controversy, the reverse side related to adults.
Some adults can remain undiagnosed, and indeed the condition has usually been
overlooked...read more »
Bipolar disorder misdiagosed as various conditions by primary physicians: Bipolar disorder (manic-depressive disorder)
often fails to be diagnosed...read more »
Eating disorders under-diagnosed in men: The typical patient with
an eating disorder is female.
The result is that men with eating disorders often fail to be diagnosed or
have a delayed diagnosis.
See misdiagnosis...read more »
Depression undiagnosed in teenagers: Serious bouts of depression can be
undiagnosed in teenagers.
The "normal" moodiness of teenagers can cause severe medical...read more »
Undiagnosed anxiety disorders related to depression: Patients with depression (see symptoms of depression)
may also have undiagnosed anxiety disorders (see symptoms of anxiety...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Mixed-state bipolar disorder
Mixed-state bipolar disorder: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Mixed-state bipolar disorder
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Mixed-state bipolar disorder:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Mixed-state bipolar disorder,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Mixed-state bipolar disorder: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Mixed-state bipolar disorder: Broader Related Topics
Types of Mixed-state bipolar disorder
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Mixed-state bipolar disorder, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Mixed-state bipolar disorder: