Assessment
Questionnaire

Have a symptom?
See what questions
a doctor would ask.
 
News » New options for treatment of GERD can reduce dependence on medication
 

New options for treatment of GERD can reduce dependence on medication

There are now two new options for the 55 million people in the US who suffer from GERD. Normally, medication is used to control the acid that is associated with the disease. Now, patients with severe cases can have a liquid polymer injected into the problematic valve which lies between the stomach and esophagus, thus preventing backflow of stomach contents. Another technique involves suturing. Both procedures can be done via an endoscope. A study at the University of Virginia found that 29% of GERD patients could give up their acid controlling medications and the other 71% could reduce it by half. Further studies are being done to confirm these results.

Source: summary of medical news story as reported by Newsday

Related Disease Topics:

Article Source Details

About: New options for treatment of GERD can reduce dependence on medication

Date: 19 November 2004

Source: Newsday

Author: Delthia Ricks

URL: http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hsgerd194047676nov19,0,1257775.story?coll=ny-health-headlines

Related Medical Topics

This summary article refers to the following medical categories:

More News Topics

  • Recently discovered gene defect may be the cause of some types of depression
  • Reckless teen behavior and depression link
  • Recognising Poland Syndrome
  • Recommendation for screening of newborns for cystic fibrosis often leads to better prognosis
  • Record amount awarded for medical malpractice leading to death
  • Recurrent nosebleeds to be taken seriously
  • Red meat consumption in older women linked to diabetes
  • Red meat consumption linked to higher risk of type 2 diabetes
  • Red wine and dementia prevention
  • Red wine may half the risk of prostate cancer
  • Red wine reduces lung cancer risk
  •  

    By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use. Information provided on this site is for informational purposes only; it is not intended as a substitute for advice from your own medical team. The information on this site is not to be used for diagnosing or treating any health concerns you may have - please contact your physician or health care professional for all your medical needs. Please see our Terms of Use.

    Home | Symptoms | Diseases | Diagnosis | Videos | Tools | Forum | About Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Site Map | Advertise