Assessment
Questionnaire

Have a symptom?
See what questions
a doctor would ask.
 
News » People about to begin an exercise program as well as athletes need to be checked for heart abnormalities
 

People about to begin an exercise program as well as athletes need to be checked for heart abnormalities

Athletes and anyone about to embark on an exercise program should ensure they have an exercise stress test to ensure they don't have any underlying heart problems. Sudden death caused by heart attack occurs in 2 per 100,000 athletes aged 12 to 35 and is the leading cause of non-traumatic death in athletes. The rate in non-athletic populations is 0.7 per 100,000. Physicians will also need to determine the existence of other symptoms to ascertain if a heart abnormality exists. Symptoms to look out for include chest tightness, dizziness after exercise and high cholesterol. A famous soccer player died last year during a soccer match from an undiagnosed enlarged ventricle. A gifted basketballer died from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy during a basketball game. A figure skater died while practicing on the ice from a heart attack caused by a blocked artery and high blood pressure. Pre-existing heart abnormalities cause about 90% of sudden heart deaths in athletes with the other 10% caused by heat stroke and banned drugs such as erythropoietin. Amateurs also need to ensure they have good heart health before they begin an exercise regime.

Source: summary of medical news story as reported by Globe And Mail

Related Disease Topics:

Related Symptom Topics:

Article Source Details

About: People about to begin an exercise program as well as athletes need to be checked for heart abnormalities

Date: 11 January 2005

Source: Globe And Mail

Author: James Christie

URL: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050111/HWARN11/TPHealth/

Related Medical Topics

This summary article refers to the following medical categories:

More News Topics

  • Prolonged diagnosis causes loss of testicle for adolescent
  • Prolonged NSAIDs usage implicated in increased cancer risk
  • Prolonged use of HIV treatment leads to heart disease and stroke
  • Promiscuity linked to prostate cancer
  • Promised label warning on heart drug still not done after 1 year
  • Promising drugs raise dilemma of whether benefits outweigh the risks
  • Proposed over the counter cholesterol drug still under doubt
  • Prostate cancer active surveillance
  • Prostate cancer incidence increasing in Nigerian men
  • Prostate cancer often caused by lack of exposure to natural sunlight
  • Prostate cancer prognosis may be predicted by measuring levels of beta-catenin
  • Prostate cancer recurrence linked to obesity
  •  

    By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use. Information provided on this site is for informational purposes only; it is not intended as a substitute for advice from your own medical team. The information on this site is not to be used for diagnosing or treating any health concerns you may have - please contact your physician or health care professional for all your medical needs. Please see our Terms of Use.

    Home | Symptoms | Diseases | Diagnosis | Videos | Tools | Forum | About Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Site Map | Advertise