Treatments for Pancreatitis
Treatments for Pancreatitis:
The goal of treatment of pancreatitis is to control symptoms, such as abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting, and minimize the secretion of digestive enzymes to allow the pancreas to heal. Treatment also aims to prevent the development of serious complications, such as malabsorption, and malnutrition, kidney failure, and pseudocyst.
The first step in treatment is prevention. Many cases of acute pancreatitis cannot be prevented, but the risk of developing the disease can be reduced by not smoking at all or drinking alcohol to excess.
Severe acute pancreatitis is treated in the hospital, generally for a few days. Treatment includes the intravenous administration of antibiotics, fluids, and pain medications, and monitoring for the development of complications. Treatment also includes withholding food and drinks during this time so that the pancreas is not stimulated to make more digestive enzymes, which will cause more symptoms. Medications are also given to prevent nausea and vomiting.
In severe cases, longer hospitalization is required, and it may be necessary to feed a person a special liquid diet through a tube that is inserted into the stomach while the pancreas rests and heals.
chronic pancreatitis is treated by not smoking or drinking alcohol and with a special diet that is low in fat and high in carbohydrates. Digestive enzymes in a supplement form may be prescribed if the damaged pancreas is not producing enough enzymes.
Treatment also includes addressing any underlying causes of pancreatitis, such as gallstone. In this case the gallbladder may need to be removed surgically. In severe cases of chronic pancreatitis, surgery may be needed to drain an enlarged pancreatic duct, remove damaged tissue, or control pain.
Complications, such as diabetes are also treated as a part of a complete plan of care.
Pancreatitis: Is the Diagnosis Correct?
The first step in getting correct treatment is
to get a correct diagnosis.
Differential diagnosis list for Pancreatitis may include:
Hidden causes of Pancreatitis may be incorrectly diagnosed:
Pancreatitis: Marketplace Products, Discounts & Offers
Products, offers and promotion categories available for Pancreatitis:
Pancreatitis: Research Doctors & Specialists
- Nerve Specialists:
- Diabetes & Endocrinology Specialists:
- Cholesterol Specialists:
- Cardiac (Heart) Specialists:
- Digestive Health Specialists (Gastroenterology):
- more specialists...»
Research all specialists including ratings, affiliations, and sanctions.
Drugs and Medications used to treat Pancreatitis:
Note:You must always seek professional medical advice about any prescription drug, OTC drug, medication, treatment
or change in treatment plans.
Some of the different medications used in the treatment of Pancreatitis include:
Latest treatments for Pancreatitis:
The following are some of the latest treatments for Pancreatitis:
Hospital statistics for Pancreatitis:
These medical statistics relate to hospitals, hospitalization and Pancreatitis:
- 0.14% (18,109) of hospital consultant episodes were for acute pancreatitis in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 74% of hospital consultant episodes for acute pancreatitis required hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 62% of hospital consultant episodes for acute pancreatitis were for men in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 38% of hospital consultant episodes for acute pancreatitis were for women in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 90% of hospital consultant episodes for acute pancreatitis required emergency hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- more hospital information...»
Hospitals & Medical Clinics: Pancreatitis
Research quality ratings and patient incidents/safety measures
for hospitals and medical facilities in specialties related to Pancreatitis:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Treatment Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Pancreatitis,
on hospital and medical facility performance and surgical care quality:
Medical news summaries about treatments for Pancreatitis:
The following medical news items
are relevant to treatment of Pancreatitis:
Buy Products Related to Treatments for Pancreatitis