Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)
Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11): Introduction
Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11): Type 11 Parkinson disease is linked to a genetic mutation on chromosome 2q21.2. Parkinson's disease is a chronic, progressive, degenerative brain disorder characterized by tremors, muscle rigidity and slowed movements.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11) is available below.
Symptoms of Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)
See full list of 54
symptoms of Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)
Treatments for Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)
- There is no cure for the disease but various therapies may improve quality of life and comfort: support group, adequate nutrition, exercise, physiotherapy, rehabilitation and regular health checks. Medications that may help some patients include Levodopa, COMT inhibitors (e.g. Tolcapone, Entacapone), dopamine agonists and MAO-B inhibitors, anticholinergic drugs - the benefits of these medications often have to be weighed up against the side effects. Surgical procedures such as deep brain stimulation and pallidotomy may also help some patients. Complementary therapies can also improve symptoms and the more notable ones include: supplements of L-tyrosine, ferrous iron, pyridoxine, NADH, THFA, coenzyme Q10 and plant-derived mucuna may provide varying degrees of benefit.
- Treatment is aimed at providing symptomatic relief, and does not slow the progression of the disease. Drug therapy is the main treatment available and includes:
- Levadopa - first line for most people, especially the elderly and those with cognitive impairment
- Dopamine antagonists - Bromocriptine, Cabergoline, Pergolide, Apomorphine
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11):
Wrongly Diagnosed with Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)?
Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11): Complications
Review possible medical complications related to Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11):
Causes of Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)
Read more about causes of Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11).
Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11): Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)
Undiagnosed stroke leads to misdiagnosed aphasia: BBC News UK reported on a man who
had been institutionalized and treated for mental illness
because he suffered from sudden inability to speak.
This was initially...read more »
Alzheimer's disease over-diagnosed: The well-known disease of Alzheimer's disease
is often over-diagnosed.
Patients tend to assume that any memory loss or forgetulness...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to various medical conditions,...read more »
Tremor need not be Parkinson's disease: There is the tendency to believe that
any tremor symptom, or shakiness, means Parkinson's disease.
The reality is that there are various possibilities, such as benign...read more »
Mild traumatic brain injury often remains undiagnosed: Although the symptoms
of severe brain injury are hard to miss,
it is less clear for milder injuries, or even...read more »
MTBI misdiagnosed as balance problem: When a person has symptoms
such as vertigo or dizziness, a diagnosis of brain injury may go overlooked.
This is particularly true of mild traumatic...read more »
Rare diseases misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease: A rare genetic
disorder is often misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease for men in their 50's.
The...read more »
Brain pressure condition often misdiagnosed as dementia: A condition
that results from an excessive pressure of CSF within the brain is often misdiagnosed.
It may be misdiagnosed as Parkinson's...read more »
Post-concussive brain injury often misdiagnosed: A study found that soldiers who had
suffered a concussive injury in battle often were...read more »
Children with migraine often misdiagnosed: A migraine often fails to be
correctly diagnosed in pediatric patients.
These patients are not the typical migraine sufferers, but migraines can also occur in children.
See misdiagnosis of migraine...read more »
Vitamin B12 deficiency under-diagnosed: The condition of Vitamin B12 deficiency
is a possible misdiagnosis of various conditions, such as multiple sclerosis (see ...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)
Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11): Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
- Muscle and Orthopedic Specialists:
- Nerve Specialists:
- Neurology (Brain/CNS Specialists):
- Stroke & Vascular Specialists:
- more specialists...»
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11):
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11),
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11): Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11): Animations
More Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11) animations & videos
Prognosis for Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)
Prognosis for Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11):
There is no cure for the condition and the rate of progression varies amongst patients. Various therapies can reduce the impact of symptoms and allow a better quality of life.
More about prognosis of Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)
Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11): Broader Related Topics
Types of Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11)
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11), or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Parkinson disease 11 (PARK11):