PFIC: A rare inherited condition where bile is unable to drain from the liver where it builds up and causes progressive liver damage. End-stage liver disease usually occurs before adulthood. There are three different subtypes of the disorder, each with a different genetic origin of the defect.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of PFIC is available below.
Symptoms of PFIC
See full list of 29
symptoms of PFIC
Treatments for PFIC
- Dietary management - Diet should be high in carbohydrates and protein. Supplementation of fat soluble vitamins is necessary
- Medical treatment
- Ursodeoxycholic acid - may be tried but most forms of the disease do not respond to medical treatment
- Surgical treatment
- Diversion of bile salts from the enterohepatic circulation - cutaneous diversion, ileal diversion. May result in resolution of liver disease in most patients
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for PFIC
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to PFIC:
- Liver Health & Hepatitis: Home Testing
Wrongly Diagnosed with PFIC?
Review possible medical complications related to PFIC:
Causes of PFIC
Read more about causes of PFIC.
Misdiagnosis and PFIC
Chronic liver disease often undiagnosed: One study reported that 50% of patients
with a chronic liver disease remain undiagnosed by their primary physician.
The reasons are multifactorial.
Possible conditions include ...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and PFIC
PFIC: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
More PFIC animations & videos
Statistics for PFIC
PFIC: Broader Related Topics
Types of PFIC
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about PFIC, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Definitions of PFIC:
Ophanet, a consortium of European partners,
currently defines a condition rare when it affects 1 person per 2,000.
They list PFIC as a "rare disease".
Source - Orphanet
» Next page: What is PFIC?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: