Physical addiction: Introduction
Physical addiction: Physical addiction refers to the compulsive need for a drug or substance in order to prevent the withdrawal symptoms (physical and/or psychological) or due to increased tolerance to the effects of the substance.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Physical addiction is available below.
Symptoms of Physical addiction
- Withdrawal symptoms when attempting to stop
- Increased tolerance to addictive substance
- Compulsive urge to use addictive substance
- Lying to others about addiction behaviour
- Conducting addictive behaviour in secret
- more symptoms...»
See full list of 19
symptoms of Physical addiction
Treatments for Physical addiction
- Varies depending on the substance involved: Gradual reduction in substance use, Self-help programs, Psychotherapy, Support group, Counselling, Medications in some cases
- Specific treatment depends on the specific drug that is being abused, but treatments include:
- Recognition of the problem by the patient coupled with a desire for change
- Detoxification and management of withdrawal symptoms - as an outpatient or inpatient depending on individual patient factors
- Drug counselling
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Physical addiction
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Physical addiction:
- Child Behavior: Home Testing
- Mental Health (Adults): Home Testing
Wrongly Diagnosed with Physical addiction?
Physical addiction: Complications
Review possible medical complications related to Physical addiction:
- Deterioration in personal relationships due to addiction
- Deterioration in family relationships due to addiction
- Deterioration in social relationships due to addiction
- Deterioration in work performance due to addiction
- Deterioration in school performance due to addiction
- more complications...»
Causes of Physical addiction
Read more about causes of Physical addiction.
Physical addiction: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Physical addiction
Undiagnosed stroke leads to misdiagnosed aphasia: BBC News UK reported on a man who
had been institutionalized and treated for mental illness
because he suffered from sudden inability to speak.
This was initially misdiagnosed as a ...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to various medical conditions,
such as a ...read more »
ADHD under-diagnosed in adults: Although the over-diagnoses of ADHD
in children is a well-known controversy, the reverse side related to adults.
Some adults can remain undiagnosed, and indeed the condition has usually...read more »
Bipolar disorder misdiagosed as various conditions by primary physicians: Bipolar disorder (manic-depressive disorder)
often fails to be diagnosed correctly by primary care physicians.
Many patients with bipolar seek...read more »
Eating disorders under-diagnosed in men: The typical patient with
an eating disorder is female.
The result is that men with eating disorders often fail to be...read more »
Depression undiagnosed in teenagers: Serious bouts of depression can be
undiagnosed in teenagers.
The "normal" moodiness of teenagers can cause severe medical...read more »
Undiagnosed anxiety disorders related to depression: Patients with depression (see symptoms of depression)
may also have undiagnosed anxiety disorders ...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Physical addiction
Physical addiction: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Physical addiction
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Physical addiction:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Physical addiction,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Physical addiction: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Evidence Based Medicine Research for Physical addiction
Medical research articles related to Physical addiction include:
Click here to find more evidence-based articles on the TRIP Database
Research about Physical addiction
Visit our research pages for current research about Physical addiction treatments.
Physical addiction: Broader Related Topics
Types of Physical addiction
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Physical addiction, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Physical addiction:
» Next page: What is Physical addiction?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: