Prognosis of Pneumonia
Life Expectancy and Survival Rates
Average life years lost from Pneumonia: 9.5 years for pneumonia/influenza (SEER)1; 10.9 for pneumonia/influenza in North Carolina2; 4.3 average YPLL/person for pneumonia and influenza in Michigan3. ...see also deaths and Pneumonia
Deaths and Mortality Rates
Deaths from Pneumonia: 61,777 people died from pneumonia each year in the US 2001 (Deaths: Final data for 2001, NCHS, CDC)
Cause of death rank: 7th leading cause of death in 1999 and 2000 is "pneumonia/influenza" (CDC)
Estimated mortality rate for Pneumonia from incidence and deaths statistics:
- Deaths: 61,776 (USA annual deaths calculated from this data:
61,777 people died from pneumonia each year in the US 2001 (Deaths: Final data for 2001, NCHS, CDC))
- Incidence: 4,800,000 (USA annual incidence calculated from this data:
4.8 million annual cases (1996); 1.8 per 100 (NHIS96)
- 1.3% (ratio of deaths to incidence).
- See also Deaths and Pneumonia and Overview of Pneumonia.
Complications of Pneumonia may include:
Complications of Pneumonia from the Diseases Database include:
Source: Diseases Database
See also complications of Pneumonia.
Death Statistics for Pneumonia
The following are statistics from various sources
about deaths related to Pneumonia:
- 21.7 people per 100,000 died from pneumonia each year in the US 2001 (Deaths: Final data for 2001, NCHS, CDC)
- 8.1% of hospital deaths were from pneumonia each year in the US 2001 (Deaths: Final data for 2001, NCHS, CDC)
- 62,065 annual deaths for pneumonia (NVSR Sep 2001)
- 36,655 female deaths for Influenza and Pneumonia in the USA 2000 (American Heart Association, 2002)
- 1,353 men died from pneumonia and influenza in Australia 2002 (AIHW National Morbidity Database, Australia’s Health 2004, AIHW)
- more death statistics...»
Pneumonia: Research More
The 'prognosis' of Pneumonia usually refers to the likely outcome
The prognosis of Pneumonia
may include the duration of Pneumonia, chances of complications of Pneumonia,
prospects for recovery, recovery period for Pneumonia, survival rates,
and other outcome possibilities in the overall prognosis of Pneumonia.
Naturally, such forecast issues are by their nature unpredictable.
» Next page: Types of Pneumonia
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: