Treatments for Retinal detachment
Treatments for Retinal detachment:
Emergent treatment of a retinal detachment can result in a good prognosis and restore normal vision if detachment has not yet begun or if a minimal amount of retina is detached. If retinal detachment has progress beyond the early stage, there may be some permanent loss of vision even with treatment.
Retinal detachment can be treated with a variety of surgical procedures. The type of procedure used depends on the severity and level of retinal detachment and other factors.
In the earliest stage of retinal detachment, an ophthalmologist may detect a hole and tear in the retina before the retina begins to pull away from the choroid, the layer of blood vessels that supply the eye with critical oxygen and nutrients. This can be repaired and the hole or tear sealed by freezing (cryosurgery) or laser surgery. This can be done in an ophthalmologist's office or outpatient setting.
If retinal detachment is not discovered until the retina has begun to pull away from the choroid, sclera buckling may be performed. This procedure seals the hole or tear in the retina and drains the fluid between the retina and the choroid so that the retina settles back against the choroid.
Other procedures may be used to push the retina back into place against the choroid. These include pneumatic retinopexy, which uses a bubble of gas to push the retina back against the choroid.
Retinal detachment can be prevent by wearing protective eye wear in situations in which an eye injury can occur, such as on the job or while playing sports. It is also important for people who have a history of retinal detachment to see an ophthalmologist regularly to monitor the other eye for signs of retinal detachment. This is because people who have experienced a retinal detachment are at a high risk of developing a retinal detachment in the other eye.
Treatment List for Retinal detachment
The list of treatments mentioned in various sources
for Retinal detachment
includes the following list.
Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment
or change in treatment plans.
- Emergency eye treatment - often eye surgery is required urgently
- Laser surgery
- Cryopexy (freeze treatment)
- Liquid nitrogen cryotherapy
- Solid carbon dioxine cryotherapy
- Hospital admission
- Consult an ophthalmologist
- Silicone oil infusion
Retinal detachment: Is the Diagnosis Correct?
The first step in getting correct treatment is
to get a correct diagnosis.
Differential diagnosis list for Retinal detachment may include:
Hidden causes of Retinal detachment may be incorrectly diagnosed:
Retinal detachment: Marketplace Products, Discounts & Offers
Products, offers and promotion categories available for Retinal detachment:
Retinal detachment: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research all specialists including ratings, affiliations, and sanctions.
Unlabeled Drugs and Medications to treat Retinal detachment:
Unlabelled alternative drug treatments for Retinal detachment include:
- Timoptic Ouches
Hospital statistics for Retinal detachment:
These medical statistics relate to hospitals, hospitalization and Retinal detachment:
- 0.09% (11,478) of hospital consultant episodes were for retinal detachments and breaks in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 99% of hospital consultant episodes for retinal detachments and breaks required hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 60% of hospital consultant episodes for retinal detachments and breaks were for men in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 40% of hospital consultant episodes for retinal detachments and breaks were for women in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 34% of hospital consultant episodes for retinal detachments and breaks required emergency hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- more hospital information...»
Medical news summaries about treatments for Retinal detachment:
The following medical news items
are relevant to treatment of Retinal detachment:
Buy Products Related to Treatments for Retinal detachment