Retinal migraine: Introduction
Retinal migraine: Retinal Migraine is Migraine where there are repeated attacks of visual disturbances preceding the headache phase of the Migraine attacks.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Retinal migraine is available below.
Symptoms of Retinal migraine
- Scintillations (seeing twinkling lights)
- Scotoma (areas of decreased or lost vision)
- Temporary blindness
- The headache phase of a retinal Migraine begins during or within 60 minutes of the visual symptoms. The headache phase presents symptoms consistent with Migraine without aura:
- Duration of headache is 4-72 hours which is usually unilateral, pulsatile and of moderate to severe intensity.
- more symptoms...»
Read more about symptoms of Retinal migraine
Treatments for Retinal migraine
- For infrequent attacks, medications used for other forms of Migraine are often employed to relieve the other symptoms. These medications can include NSAIDs, antinausea medication,ergotamines the triptans. The choice of medications is somewhat affected by the age of the patient
- Treatment of migraine needs to be individualised, and depends upon the type, frequency and severity of attacks, the age of the patient and other coexisting health problems. Retinal migraine can be a frightening experience, so patient education is important. Vasoactive agents such as ergots used to manage other types of migraine should be avoided. Treatments include:
- Patient education regarding prevention and management of attacks
- Avoidance of trigger factors - dietary factors, bright lights, lack of sleep
- Dietary management - chocolate, cheese, red wine, walnuts, tuna, spinach and liver, have all been implicated in triggering migraines
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Retinal migraine
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Retinal migraine:
- Vision & Eye Health: Home Testing:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Retinal migraine?
Retinal migraine: Related Patient Stories
Causes of Retinal migraine
Read more about causes of Retinal migraine.
Retinal migraine: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Retinal migraine
Leg cramps at night a classic sign: The symptom of having leg muscle cramps,
particularly at night, is a classic sign of undiagnosed diabetes.
However, there are also various other causes.
See causes of leg cramps or ...read more »
Mild traumatic brain injury often remains undiagnosed: Although the symptoms
of severe brain injury are hard to miss,
it is less clear for milder injuries, or even those causing a mild concussion diagnosis.
The condition...read more »
MTBI misdiagnosed as balance problem: When a person has symptoms
such as vertigo or dizziness, a diagnosis of brain injury may go overlooked.
This is particularly true of mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI), for which the
symptoms are...read more »
Post-concussive brain injury often misdiagnosed: A study found that soldiers who had
suffered a concussive injury in battle often were misdiagnosed on their return.
A variety of...read more »
Children with migraine often misdiagnosed: A migraine often fails to be
correctly diagnosed in pediatric patients.
These patients are not the typical migraine sufferers, but...read more »
Pituitary conditions often undiagnosed cause of symptoms: There are a variety of symptoms
that can be caused by a pituitary disorder (see symptoms of pituitary disorders).
For...read more »
Vitamin B12 deficiency under-diagnosed: The condition of Vitamin B12 deficiency
is a possible misdiagnosis of various conditions, such as multiple sclerosis (see symptoms of multiple sclerosis).
See ...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Retinal migraine
Retinal migraine: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
- Nerve Specialists:
- Pain Specialists:
- Eye Health Specialists (Ophthalmology):
- Arthritis & Joint Health Specialists (Rheumatology):
- more specialists...»
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Retinal migraine: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Evidence Based Medicine Research for Retinal migraine
Medical research articles related to Retinal migraine include:
Click here to find more evidence-based articles on the TRIP Database
Retinal migraine: Animations
More Retinal migraine animations & videos
Prognosis for Retinal migraine
Prognosis for Retinal migraine:
Patients may have permanent vision problems after eye migraines.
More about prognosis of Retinal migraine
Research about Retinal migraine
Visit our research pages for current research about Retinal migraine treatments.
Retinal migraine: Broader Related Topics
Types of Retinal migraine
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Retinal migraine, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Retinal migraine:
» Next page: What is Retinal migraine?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: