Rhesus isoimmunisation: Introduction
A blood incompatibility disorder where the mother's blood type is not compatible with the fetus. This incompatibility results in antibodies from the mother's blood destroying the baby's red blood cells when they come into contact during pregnancy and after birth. Without treatment the condition can cause serious complications and even death. The two different blood types involved are Rh-negative or Rh-positive. The mother does not develop the antibodies to the baby's blood until after delivery so the first baby is not affected but any subsequent babies can be affected during the pregnancy or after the birth. Also known as Rh isoimmunisation. ...more »
Symptoms of Rhesus isoimmunisation
Read more about symptoms of Rhesus isoimmunisation
Treatments for Rhesus isoimmunisation
- Anti-D gamma globulin - given to the mother; this prevents the development of antibodies in the mother and is thus used preventively for any underlying cause that may cause antibody development during the pregnancy.
- Early induced delivery
- Premature induced delivery - for severe fetal anemia
- Fetal blood transfusion
- Newborn blood transfusion
- more treatments...»
See full list of 7
treatments for Rhesus isoimmunisation
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Rhesus isoimmunisation:
- Pregnancy -- Related Home Testing:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Rhesus isoimmunisation?
Diagnostic Tests for Rhesus isoimmunisation
Read more about tests for Rhesus isoimmunisation
Rhesus isoimmunisation: Complications
Review possible medical complications related to Rhesus isoimmunisation:
Causes of Rhesus isoimmunisation
- Previous Rh+ baby - the condition can arise in a pregnancy due to an Rh incompatibility in a previous pregnancy.
- Fetal bleeding - this exposes Rh+ blood to the mother's Rh- blood and causes antibody creation.
- Conditions causing fetal bleeding into the mother's bloodstream:
- Miscarriage - may cause rhesus isoimmunisation in a later pregnancy
- Abortion - may cause rhesus isoimmunisation in a later pregnancy
- more causes...»
See full list of 10
causes of Rhesus isoimmunisation
More information about causes of Rhesus isoimmunisation:
Disease Topics Related To Rhesus isoimmunisation
Research the causes of these diseases that are similar to, or related to, Rhesus isoimmunisation:
Rhesus isoimmunisation: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Rhesus isoimmunisation
Unnecessary hysterectomies due to undiagnosed bleeding disorder in women: The bleeding disorder
called Von Willebrand's disease is quite common in women, but often fails to be correctly diagnosed.
Women with the...read more »
Rare type of breast cancer without a lump: There is a less common form
of breast cancer called inflammatory breast cancer.
Its symptoms can be an inflammation of the breast tissue, such as with a ...read more »
Undiagnosed celiac disease in pregnancy harms fetus: The failure
to diagnose the common but less known digestive disease celiac disease (see symptoms of celiac disease)
is linked to adverse fetal outcomes....read more »
Misdiagnosed weight-related causes of infertility: A woman's weight status
can affect her level of fertility.
Although obesity or overweight can in themselves reduce fertility, there...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Rhesus isoimmunisation
Rhesus isoimmunisation: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
- Pregnancy & Fertility Health Specialists:
- Baby & Newborn Health Specialists:
- Womens Health Specialists:
- Blood Health Specialists (Hematology):
- more specialists...»
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Rhesus isoimmunisation
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Rhesus isoimmunisation:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Rhesus isoimmunisation,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Rhesus isoimmunisation: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Evidence Based Medicine Research for Rhesus isoimmunisation
Medical research articles related to Rhesus isoimmunisation include:
Click here to find more evidence-based articles on the TRIP Database
Rhesus isoimmunisation: Animations
More Rhesus isoimmunisation animations & videos
Research about Rhesus isoimmunisation
Visit our research pages for current research about Rhesus isoimmunisation treatments.
Prevention of Rhesus isoimmunisation
Prevention information for Rhesus isoimmunisation has been compiled from various data sources
and may be inaccurate or incomplete.
None of these methods guarantee prevention of Rhesus isoimmunisation.
- Anti-D gamma globulin - given to the mother; this prevents the development of antibodies in the mother and is thus used preventively for any underlying cause that may cause antibody development.
- Maternal anti-D gamma globulin after delivery - to prevent antibodies that may affect a later pregnancy.
- more preventions...»
Read more about prevention of Rhesus isoimmunisation
Rhesus isoimmunisation: Broader Related Topics
Types of Rhesus isoimmunisation
Rhesus isoimmunisation Message Boards
Related forums and medical stories:
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Rhesus isoimmunisation, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Rhesus isoimmunisation:
User Surveys and Discussion Forums