Scalp psoriasis: Introduction
Scalp psoriasis: Scalp psoriasis can be very mild, with slight, fine scaling. It can also be very severe with thick, crusted plaques covering the entire scalp, which commonly can cause hair loss.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Scalp psoriasis is available below.
Symptoms of Scalp psoriasis
- As with psoriasis elsewhere on the body, skin cells grow too quickly on the scalp and cause red lesions covered with scale to appear.
- Scalp psoriasis may occur in isolation or with any other form of psoriasis. The back of the head is a common site but multiple discrete areas of the scalp or the whole scalp may be affected. Scalp psoriasis is characterised by thick silvery white scale on patches of very red skin. It may extend slightly beyond the hairline.
- Scalp psoriasis may not cause any symptoms at all or may be extremely itchy.
- more symptoms...»
Read more about symptoms of Scalp psoriasis
Treatments for Scalp psoriasis
- For people with psoriasis, the key is to loosen and remove scales, while providing as much moisture as possible. Alcohol-based topical steroid and calcipotriol lotions can reduce itch but don't lift scale very well. Use topical steroids intermittently; overuse results in more extensive and severe psoriasis
- Coal tar shampoos are suitable for most patients with scalp psoriasis
- Ketoconazole shampoo is effective for dandruff, seborrhoeic dermatitis and sebopsoriasis
- Coal tar
- more treatments...»
See full list of 8
treatments for Scalp psoriasis
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Scalp psoriasis:
- Allergies -- Related Home Tests
Wrongly Diagnosed with Scalp psoriasis?
Alternative Treatments for Scalp psoriasis
Alternative treatments or home remedies that have been listed in various sources as possibly beneficial for Scalp psoriasis may include:
Causes of Scalp psoriasis
Read more about causes of Scalp psoriasis
More information about causes of Scalp psoriasis:
Scalp psoriasis: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Scalp psoriasis
Psoriasis often undiagnosed cause of skin symptoms in children: Children who suffer
from the skin disorder called psoriasis can often go...read more »
Rare form of hair loss often misdiagnosed: a rare form of
extreme hair loss called "Atrichia with papular lesions" (APL) is often misdiagnosed
as ...read more »
Hair and scalp disorders misdiagnosed in African Americans: A higher than average
percentage of misdiagnoses of hair or scalp disorders seem to occur in African Americans.
Some of the overlooked hair/scalp...read more »
Psoriatic arthritis often undiagnosed cause of joint conditions: Patients with the skin condition psoriasis
can also have the related arthritis subtype called "psoriatic arthritis".
This arthritic...read more »
Chronic lung diseases hard to diagnose: Some of the chronic lung diseases
are difficult to diagnose.
Even the well-knowns conditions such as asthma or lung cancer often fail to be diagnosed early.
Some of the chronic lung...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Scalp psoriasis
Scalp psoriasis: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
- Allergy Specialists:
- Immune-Related Disease Specialists (Immunology):
- Skin Health Specialists (Dermatology):
- Lung Health Specialists (Pulmonologist):
- more specialists...»
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Scalp psoriasis: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Evidence Based Medicine Research for Scalp psoriasis
Medical research articles related to Scalp psoriasis include:
Click here to find more evidence-based articles on the TRIP Database
Scalp psoriasis: Animations
More Scalp psoriasis animations & videos
Research about Scalp psoriasis
Visit our research pages for current research about Scalp psoriasis treatments.
Scalp psoriasis: Broader Related Topics
Types of Scalp psoriasis
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Scalp psoriasis, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Scalp psoriasis:
» Next page: What is Scalp psoriasis?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: