Treatments for Stress
Treatments for Stress:
The first step in treating stress is to prevent it. Prevention methods also often are used as a part of a multifaceted treatment program. There are many ways to reduce stress and minimize the long-term complications of chronic stress, such as heart disease, depression, anxiety, and type 2 diabetes. The most effective strategy is to prevent and address stress in a variety of ways beginning with taking inventory of stressors and developing strategies to eliminate or reduce them.
Exercise is a well accepted way to reduce stress. Exercise may allow the muscles to use and "work off" the body's build up of stress-induced epinephrine and other hormones so that excessive amounts do not accumulate and cause ongoing high blood sugar levels and damage to arteries.
Deep breathing exercises and such disciplines as yoga and tai chi help to induce a calm state, and clear the mind of stressful thoughts. For some people an hour of carefree window shopping, a spa treatment, or watching the game with buddies, are great ways to relax and reduce stress.
Other preventive and treatment methods include getting a good night's sleep, eating a well-balanced heart-healthy diet that is low in saturated fat, sugar and processed carbohydrates. A heart-healthy diet is also high in fiber, whole grains, low-fat proteins and dairy products and fruits and vegetables. Drinking alcohol and using caffeine in moderation are also important. It is also recommended that people who smoke quit.
For people in whom stress has lead to depression, insomnia, anxiety, or other psychological problems, psychotherapy and possibly medication may be needed.
Treatment List for Stress
The list of treatments mentioned in various sources
includes the following list.
Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment
or change in treatment plans.
- Treatments for emotional stress:
- Treatments to divert the mind from the source of stress:
Alternative Treatments for Stress
Alternative treatments or home remedies that have been listed as possibly helpful for Stress may include:
Stress: Is the Diagnosis Correct?
The first step in getting correct treatment is
to get a correct diagnosis.
Differential diagnosis list for Stress may include:
Hidden causes of Stress may be incorrectly diagnosed:
Stress: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research all specialists including ratings, affiliations, and sanctions.
Drugs and Medications used to treat Stress:
Note:You must always seek professional medical advice about any prescription drug, OTC drug, medication, treatment
or change in treatment plans.
Some of the different medications used in the treatment of Stress include:
Hospital statistics for Stress:
These medical statistics relate to hospitals, hospitalization and Stress:
- Neurotic, stress-related and somatoform disorders resulted in 49,415 hospitalisations in Australia 2001-02 (AIHW Hospital Morbidity Database 2001-02, Australia’s Health 2004, AIHW)
- Neurotic, stress-related and somatoform disorders accounted for 210,115 patient days inhospitals in Australia 2001-02 (AIHW Hospital Morbidity Database 2001-02, Australia’s Health 2004, AIHW)
- 0.05% (6,290) of hospital consultant episodes were for reaction to severe stress and adjustment disorders in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 95% of hospital consultant episodes for reaction to severe stress and adjustment disorders required hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 50% of hospital consultant episodes for reaction to severe stress and adjustment disorders were for men in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- more hospital information...»
Hospitals & Medical Clinics: Stress
Research quality ratings and patient incidents/safety measures
for hospitals and medical facilities in specialties related to Stress:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Treatment Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Stress,
on hospital and medical facility performance and surgical care quality:
Medical news summaries about treatments for Stress:
The following medical news items
are relevant to treatment of Stress:
Discussion of treatments for Stress:
There are many stress management programs that can teach you about the
nature and sources of stress, the effects of stress on health, and
personal skills to reduce the effects of stress. Examples of stress
reducing skills include time management and physical exercise.
For more serious stress related disorders, like PTSD, research has
demonstrated the effectiveness of cognitive-behavioral therapy, group
therapy, and exposure therapy, in which the patient repeatedly relives the
frightening experience under controlled conditions to help him or her work
through the trauma. Studies have also shown that medications help
ease associated symptoms of depression and anxiety and help promote
(Source: excerpt from Stress: NWHIC)
Buy Products Related to Treatments for Stress