Prognosis of Suicide
Life Expectancy and Survival Rates
Average life years lost from Suicide: 33.8 years (SEER)1; 36.6 in North Carolina2; 29.2 average YPLL/person for suicide in Michigan3. ...see also deaths and Suicide
Deaths and Mortality Rates
Deaths from Suicide: 29,199 annual cases in 1999 USA including 16,599 by firearm (NVHS Sep 2001)
Estimated mortality rate for Suicide from incidence and deaths statistics:
- Deaths: 29,199 (USA annual deaths calculated from this data:
29,199 annual cases in 1999 USA including 16,599 by firearm (NVHS Sep 2001))
- Incidence: 29,199 (USA annual incidence calculated from this data:
29,199 annual cases of actual suicide in 1999 USA (NVHS Sep 2001)
- 100.0% (ratio of deaths to incidence).
- See also Deaths and Suicide and Overview of Suicide.
Complications of Suicide from the Diseases Database include:
Source: Diseases Database
See also complications of Suicide.
Death Statistics for Suicide
The following are statistics from various sources
about deaths related to Suicide:
- 12.3 per 100,000 with 3,681 cases of "self-inflicted" deaths in Canada 19974
- 10.8 per 100,000 people died from suicide in the US 2001 (National Vital Statistics Report, CDC, 2003)
- Caused 2,683 deaths in Australia in 1988 (Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2002)
- Caused 2,150 male deaths in Australia in 1988 (Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2002)
- 2.1% of all deaths in Australia in 1988 (Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2002)
- Increased by 105% in 15-19 year old African-American men in America from 1980-96 (National Centre for Injury Prevention and Control)
- 30,622 deaths in America 2001 (CDC, 2004)
- more death statistics...»
Suicide: Research More
The 'prognosis' of Suicide usually refers to the likely outcome
The prognosis of Suicide
may include the duration of Suicide, chances of complications of Suicide,
prospects for recovery, recovery period for Suicide, survival rates,
and other outcome possibilities in the overall prognosis of Suicide.
Naturally, such forecast issues are by their nature unpredictable.
» Next page: Types of Suicide
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: