Diagnostic Tests for Abdominal pain
Diagnostic Test list for Abdominal pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Abdominal pain
- General appearance - looking for jaundice, signs of recent weight loss, distress.
- Is there shock? - i.e. reduced blood pressure, increased heart rate suggesting ruptured peptic ulcer or acute pancreatitis.
- Palpate the abdomen gently - to assess tenderness, rigidity of abdomen and to feel for any masses.
- Examine for hernia
- Listen to the bowel sounds - to assess possible bowel obstruction.
- Rectal examination - noting any tenderness, masses or blood.
- Vaginal examination - noting any tenderness, masses or discharge.
- Urine examination
- Urine glucose - to assess presence of glucose.
- Urine ketones - ketones for diabetes.
- Urine blood - to assess presence of blood in renal colic.
- Urine bilirubin - to assess presence of bilirubin in cholangitis.
- Urine protein - to assess presence of protein in pyelonephritis.
- Urine porphobilinogen - to assess porphobilinogen in porphria.
- Examine lungs and heart system - to assess possibility of lungs or heart causing abdominal pain.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count - looking for anemia, inflammation.
- Electrolytes - looking for signs of dehydration or electrolyte imbalance.
- Pancreatic enzymes - looking for pancreatitis.
- Pregnancy test - looking for ectopic pregnancy.
- Blood cultures- if there are chills and fever
- Stool examination - for occult blood, ovum or parasites.
- Radiographic investigations - depending on location of mass and associated symptoms - e.g. X-ray abdomen.
- Ultrasound of abdomen and /or pelvis - looking for gallstones, abdominal aneurysm, ectopic pregnancy.
- IVP - looking for signs of urinary stones.
- Nuclear scan of gallbladder - useful in detecting acute cholecystitis.
- Gallium scan - to detect diverticular abscess.
- CT Abdomen
- Chest X-ray - to rule out pneumonia.
- ECG and cardiac enzymes - to rule out heart attack.
- Endoscopic procedure - to help diagnose stomach cancer, peptic ulcer, gastritis, reflux oesophagitis, colon cancer and diverticulitis.
- Surgical investigations depending on location of mass and associated symptoms - e.g. Laparoscopy is useful in diagnosing many types of abdominal pain, Exploratory laparotomy if diagnosis remains in doubt.
- Angiography - can diagnose an aneurysm or mesenteric infarction.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Abdominal pain causes:
- Food Allergies & Intolerances: Home Testing:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
- Digestive-Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Abdominal pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Abdominal pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Abdominal pain or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Abdominal pain:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Abdominal pain'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: