Diagnostic Tests for Alcohol use
Diagnostic Test list for Alcohol use:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Alcohol use
- General facial appearance - plethoric face, puffy greasy face, spider veins on face, rosacea and rhinophyma( all indicative of chronic alcohol use ); blood shot eyes, smell of stale alcohol.
- Physical examination - looking for signs of liver disease or complications of alcohol abuse e.g. anemia, high blood pressure, enlarged heart, arrhythmia, gout.
- Blood tests
- Serum gamma glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT) elevated in chronic drinkers and returns to normal with cessation of intake
- Large red cell size with chronic alcohol use
- Anemia may be present due to blood loss , iron deficiency , folate deficiency or bone marrow toxicity all as a result of alcohol abuse
- Low platelet count - with chronic alcohol use due to bone marrow toxicity.
- Abnormal liver function tests - in alcohol liver disease , cirrhosis.
- Elevated Uric acid - with chronic alcohol use.
- Elevated triglycerides - with chronic alcohol use.
- Vitamin B1 - low with Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome.
- Coagulation studies - prolonged PT in chronic alcohol use and alcohol liver disease.
- Liver Ultrasound scan - can detect fatty liver, cirrhosis.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Alcohol use causes:
- Child Behavior: Home Testing
- Mental Health (Adults): Home Testing
- Home Drug Tests
- Smoking-Related Disorders: Home Testing:
- Mental Health: Home Testing:
- Brain & Neurological Disorders: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Alcohol use:
The following list of conditions
have 'Alcohol use' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Alcohol use or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Alcohol use:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Alcohol use'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: