Diagnostic Tests for Anorectal pain
Diagnostic Test list for Anorectal pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Anorectal pain
- External Physical examination - external hemorrhoids, perianal haematoma, anal fissure, anal fistula, anal herpes, perianal abscess.
- Digital rectal examination - noting any mass, tenderness or blood. The presence of rectal pain with a mass would suggest internal and external hemorrhoids, rectal cancer and perianal abscess.
- In women a mass felt may also indicate acute salpingitis, ectopic pregnancy or endometriosis which may cause rectal pain
- Swab of any perianal lesions - to diagnose herpes.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count - to detect infection e.g. perianal abscess, acute salpingitis.
- Pregnancy test - ectopic pregnancy may cause rectal pain.
- Sexually transmitted disease screen - if appropriate.
- Sigmoidoscopy and Proctoscopy - allow visualization of any lumps or swellings that have been felt or to exclude other impalpable lesions and to take a biopsy of lump.
- Colonoscopy - if suspect bowel cancer, Crohn's disease or Ulcerative colitis.
- Pelvic Ultrasound - may be needed to exclude ectopic or other pelvic masses.
- Laparoscopy - may be required to eliminate endometriosis as a possible cause of rectal pain.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Anorectal pain causes:
- Colon & Rectal Cancer: Home Testing
- Food Allergies & Intolerances: Home Testing:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
- Digestive-Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Anorectal pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Anorectal pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Anorectal pain or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Anorectal pain:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Anorectal pain'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: