Diagnostic Tests for Bone pain
Diagnostic Test list for Bone pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Bone pain
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR to detect anemia, infection, inflammation, leukemia
- Renal function, electrolytes and liver function tests especially to test for alkaline phosphatase, calcium and phosphorus. Bone metastases may cause elevated alkaline phosphatase and calcium. Multiple myeloma may have evidence of renal failure and may have elevated calcium, protein and uric acid. Paget's disease can have elevated alkaline phosphatase
- Arthritis screen depending on suspicion including Rheumatoid factor, ANA and ENA antibodies, HLA-B27
- PSA and serum acid phosphatase if suspect prostate cancer as cause for bone metastases
- Protein electrophoresis may diagnose Multiple myeloma
- Blood cultures if fever is present
- Urinary Bence Jones protein - is seen in some patients with multiple myeloma.
- Radiological investigations
- X-Ray of the affected bones and joints if there is tenderness or limitation of motion can diagnose fractures , arthritis , bone tumors, Paget's disease, osteoporosis
- CT Scan or MRI of spine if suspect a bone tumor or compression of spinal cord or nerve roots due to radiation of pain down arms or legs
- Bone scan will help diagnose obscure fractures, bone tumors and osteomyelitis. If bone metastases are diagnosed consider primary cancer in the lung, breast, kidneys, thyroid or prostate and investigate as appropriate
- Biopsy of primary bone tumor e.g. osteoid osteoma, osteosarcoma
- Bone marrow aspirate - to diagnose Multiple myeloma.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Bone pain causes:
- Osteoporosis & Bone Health: Home Testing:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Bone pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Bone pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Bone pain or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Bone pain:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Bone pain'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: