Diagnostic Tests for Bronchitis
Diagnostic Test list for Bronchitis:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Bronchitis
- Physical examination
- Inspect for blueness of tongue and skin
- Lung examination to listen to breath sound quality , intensity and for added sounds. Crackles may be heard in bronchitis (but also in congestive heart failure pneumonia, lung fibrosis or bronchiectasis). Wheezes may be heard in chronic bronchitis ( but also in asthma or emphysema)
- Examine for signs of right ventricular heart failure which my be a complication of severe chronic bronchitis e.g. distended neck veins, tender enlarged liver and spleen, swollen ankles
- Blood tests
- Full blood count to detect increased red cell count and signs of infection
- Other tests
- Sputum microscopy and culture - to detect cause of bronchitis.
- Arterial blood gases - show increased carbon dioxide levels and reduced oxygen levels.
- Pulmonary function tests
- Radiological investigations
- Chest X-Ray
- Echocardiogram can help diagnose congestive cardiac failure
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Bronchitis causes:
- Lung & Respiratory Health Tests:
- Cold & Flu: Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Bronchitis:
The following list of conditions
have 'Bronchitis' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Bronchitis or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Bronchitis:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Bronchitis'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: