Diagnostic Tests for Calf pain
Diagnostic Test list for Calf pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Calf pain
- Physical examination
- Watch walking and nature of any limp
- Examine lumbosacral spine if suspect calf pain is referred from spine
- Inspect calves for size and symmetry, any bruises, swellings, discoloration, ulcers or rashes
- Inspect pattern of any visible or bulging leg veins
- Feel the calf for local causes of pain
- Inspect for signs of peripheral vascular disease e.g. reduced or absent pulses, cool pale extremities, loss of hair on lower feet and legs, ulcers on foot, gangrene of skin on toes
- Examine the lymph nodes in groin
- Neurological examination to test for nerve root problems e.g. test power, tone, reflexes, co-ordination and sensation in the lower limbs
- Blood tests
- Radiological examination
- X-ray of leg
- X-ray of lumbosacral spine
- CT Scan or MRI of lumbosacral spine
- Bone Scan
- Vascular tests
- Arteriography - if surgery is planned fro peripheral vascular disease.
- Duplex ultrasound scan - can detect deep venous thrombosis; detect the local sites of incompetence of varicose veins and measure blood flow in peripheral vascular disease.
- Ankle-brachial index - compares the resting systolic blood pressure at the arm and ankle and can indicate peripheral vascular disease.
- Venous pool radionuclide scan - can help diagnose deep venous thrombosis.
- Contrast venography - can help diagnose deep venous thrombosis if duplex ultrasound scan and radionuclide scan are negative.
- Air plethysmograph - for varicose veins.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Calf pain causes:
- Sleep Disorders: Home Testing
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Calf pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Calf pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Calf pain or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: