Diagnostic Tests for Cognitive impairment
Diagnostic Test list for Cognitive impairment:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Cognitive impairment
- Physical examination
- Neck stiffness may suggest meningitis or subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Assessment of vision and hearing
- Neurological examination to look for focal neurological signs and papilledema
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Electrolytes, calcium, renal function tests
- Blood sugar level
- Liver function tests
- Thyroid function tests
- Blood cultures - if fever.
- Cytogenetics for karyotyping e.g. looking for genetic syndromes e.g. Down's syndrome, Fragile-X syndrome
- Serology for congenital infections in a child
- Serum Creatinine phosphokinase in child not walking be 18 months if suspect Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Syphilis and HIV testing - if appropriate.
- B12 assay for deficiency may suggest Subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord which can cause cognitive impairment
- ANA antibody to detect lupus erythematosus
- General appearance
- Looking for any dysmorphic ( abnormality of shape) features of face and body e.g. Down syndrome, Cornelia de Lange syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, Soto's syndrome
- Urine tests
- Urine metabolic screening in children if suspect metabolic and storage diseases
- Urine drug screen
- Radiological investigations
- CT scan or MRI brain can detect many different causes of cognitive impairment
- Spinal tap - may be required to diagnose multiple sclerosis, neurosyphilis, meningitis.
- EEG - may be helpful in demonstrating drug intoxication.
- IQ test
- Denver developmental screening test in children - compares all aspects of a child's development with a population of normal children at the same age.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Cognitive impairment causes:
- Child Behavior: Home Testing
- Mental Health (Adults): Home Testing
- Home Drug Tests
- Smoking-Related Disorders: Home Testing:
- Mental Health: Home Testing:
- Brain & Neurological Disorders: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Cognitive impairment:
The following list of conditions
have 'Cognitive impairment' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Cognitive impairment or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Cognitive impairment:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Cognitive impairment'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: