Diagnostic Tests for Cold-like symptoms
Diagnostic Test list for Cold-like symptoms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Cold-like symptoms
- Physical examination
- General appearance - jaundice may suggest viral hepatitis, gallstones, ascending cholangitis or cholecystitis.
- Neck stiffness may suggest meningitis or encephalitis
- Temperature - Fever with cold - like symptoms can be due to infection; malignant disease; metabolic disorders e.g. gout; blood disorders e.g. hemolytic anemia; vascular disorders e.g. stroke, brain hemorrhage; immunological disorders e.g. lupus.
- Ears, nose and throat examination looking for signs of sinusitis, tonsillitis, middle ear infection and mononucleosis
- Examine the heart for a heart murmur which would suggest bacterial endocarditis or rheumatic fever
- Examine the lungs for noises that suggest pneumonia, bronchiectasis
- Examine the abdomen for enlarged liver - may suggest liver cancer, chronic leukemia, lymphoma or hepatitis; enlarged liver without jaundice may suggest amoebic abscess.
- Examine the nervous system for abnormalities - may suggest brain abscess, sinus thrombosis, encephalitis or epidural abscess.
- Examine the musculoskeletal system for bony tenderness or swelling - may suggest osteomyelitis.
- If fever is present but nil signs of infection found, should consider septicemia, malaria, acute hemolytic anemia, relapsing fever, abscess under the diaphragm and dental abscess
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Electrolytes and kidney function tests
- Liver function tests
- Serial blood cultures
- ASO titer to exclude Rheumatic fever
- ANA antibodies and double stranded DNA antibodies to look for lupus erythematosus
- Syphilis screen
- HIV antibody test may need to be ordered
- Acute and convalescent phase serology tests for various viruses
- Tuberculin skin testing
- Urine microscopy and culture
- Nose and throat culture
- Sputum microscopy and culture
- Stool microscopy and culture
- Swab any body discharge for microscopy and culture
- Radiological investigations
- Chest X-Ray
- Sinus X-Ray
- Plain X-Ray of suspected areas e.g. X-Ray of teeth may show abscessed tooth, X-Ray of long bone may show a metastatic cancer
- Intravenous pyelogram may show cancer of kidney
- Cholecystogram may show gallstones
- Barium enema may show diverticulitis
- Angiography may show polyarteritis nodosa, aortitis or giant cell arteritis
- CT scan of abdomen and pelvis
- Ct scan of chest
- Echocardiogram may show bacterial endocarditis
- Bone scan and gallium scans looking for possible metastasis, osteomyelitis or localized abscesses
- Lymph node biopsy may diagnose lymphoma or sarcoidosis
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Cold-like symptoms causes:
- Cold & Flu: Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Cold-like symptoms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Cold-like symptoms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Cold-like symptoms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Cold-like symptoms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Cold-like symptoms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: