Diagnostic Tests for Confusion
Diagnostic Test list for Confusion:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Confusion
- Physical examination
- Neck stiffness may suggest meningitis or subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Assessment of vision and hearing
- Neurological examination - to look for focal neurological signs and papilledema.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count
- Electrolytes, calcium, renal function tests
- Blood sugar level
- Liver function tests
- Thyroid function tests
- Blood cultures - if fever.
- Syphilis and HIV testing - if appropriate.
- B12 assay for deficiency which may suggest Subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord which in the late stages can cause cognitive impairment and confusion
- ANA antibody to detect lupus erythematosus
- Urine tests
- Urine microscopy and culture
- Urine drug screen
- Radiological investigations
- CT scan or MRI brain - can detect many different causes of confusion.
- Spinal tap - may be required to diagnose multiple sclerosis, neurosyphilis, meningitis.
- EEG - may be helpful in demonstrating drug intoxication.
- IQ test
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Confusion causes:
- Child Behavior: Home Testing
- Mental Health (Adults): Home Testing
- Home Drug Tests
- Smoking-Related Disorders: Home Testing:
- Mental Health: Home Testing:
- Brain & Neurological Disorders: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Confusion:
The following list of conditions
have 'Confusion' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Confusion or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Confusion:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Confusion'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: