Diagnostic Tests for Dehydration
Diagnostic Test list for Dehydration:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Dehydration
- Physical examination
- Note any reduced level of consciousness which is a sign of poor brain perfusion due to dehydration
- Blood pressure - low blood pressure is a late sign of dehydration. Postural hypotension is an early warning sign.
- Pulse rate - elevated pulse rate is a reliable sign of dehydration in the young but not so reliable in the elderly or in patients on beta blocker or calcium channel blocker medications.
- Full physical examination looking for explanation for dehydration is cause is not known
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR can show signs of dehydration itself or signs of associated infection or inflammation. Anemia may be evident with chronic blood loss
- Renal function - if abnormal may be cause of dehydration or the result of dehydration.
- Electrolytes including calcium and phosphate e.g. look for elevated sodium and chloride in dehydration and also in diabetes insipidus and heat exhaustion; elevated calcium may be due to hyperparathyroidism or other causes of elevated calcium which can cause dehydration; low sodium and high potassium in Addison's disease
- Blood sugar can detect diabetes
- Pregnancy test may suggest reason for protracted vomiting
- Serum ADH ( low in central diabetes insipidus)
- Serum amylase ( elevated in pancreatitis)
- Cortisol, ACTH assay, Synacthen stimulation test, adrenal antibodies if suspect Addison's disease
- Stool microscopy for ova and parasites and Stool culture - can detect causes of gastroenteritis and food poisoning.
- Urinalysis - ketones present in diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Radiological investigations
- Abdominal X-Ray may show signs of intestinal obstruction
- Upper abdominal CT Scan -may show signs of pancreatitis
- Barium meal may diagnose pyloric stenosis
- Sigmoidoscopy and rectal biopsy - if suspect colitis.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Dehydration:
The following list of conditions
have 'Dehydration' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Dehydration or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Dehydration:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Dehydration'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: