Diagnostic Tests for Delusions
Diagnostic Test list for Delusions:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Delusions
- Mental state examination - including appearance, behavior, rate and continuity of speech, mood, affect, thought content, evidence of any hallucinations or abnormal beliefs, orientation to time, place and person, attention and concentration, short-term memory, insight and judgement.
- Physical examination
- Does the person smell of alcohol
- Neck stiffness may suggest meningitis or subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Assessment of vision and hearing
- Neurological examination to look for focal neurological signs and papilledema
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Electrolytes, calcium, renal function tests
- Blood sugar level
- Liver function tests
- Thyroid function tests
- Blood cultures - if fever.
- Syphilis testing - if appropriate.
- HIV testing - if appropriate.
- B12 assay - for deficiency which may suggest Subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord which in the late stages can cause cognitive impairment and confusion.
- ANA antibody - to detect lupus erythematosus.
- Urine tests
- Urine microscopy and culture to detect urinary tract infection
- Urine drug screen
- Radiological investigations
- CT scan or MRI brain - can detect many different causes of delirium e.g. brain tumor or detect changes typical of some types of dementia.
- Spinal tap - may be required to diagnose multiple sclerosis, neurosyphilis, meningitis.
- EEG - may be helpful in demonstrating drug intoxication, epilepsy.
- Mini-mental state examination
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Delusions causes:
- Child Behavior: Home Testing
- Mental Health (Adults): Home Testing
- Home Drug Tests
- Smoking-Related Disorders: Home Testing:
- Mental Health: Home Testing:
- Brain & Neurological Disorders: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Delusions:
The following list of conditions
have 'Delusions' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Delusions or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Delusions:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Delusions'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: