Diagnostic Tests for Drowsiness
Diagnostic Test list for Drowsiness:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Drowsiness
- Physical examination
- Look for evidence of injury to head
- Examine for neck stiffness which may indicate meningitis, encephalitis or subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Look for injection marks signifying drug addicts or diabetics
- Breath odor may be a feature of alcohol, diabetes, kidney or liver failure
- Hydration status - dehydration may signify conditions such as high fever with infections, renal failure or hyperglycemia.
- Temperature - if fever suggests infection; if low temperature consider hypothyroidism or hypothermia.
- Blood pressure - if low may suggest shock due to dehydration or septicemia.
- Examine heart and lungs for signs of disease
- Examine abdomen for tenderness and masses
- Examine nervous system looking for local signs that may indicate stroke, brain abscess, brain tumor, meningitis, epidural or subdural haematoma
- Look for papilledema (swelling of the optic disc) - would indicate brain tumor, brain abscess, subdural haematoma or hydrocephalus.
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Urine microscopy and culture
- Urine drug screen
- Electroencephalograph - if seizure was involved.
- Radiological investigations
- Spinal tap if fever and neck stiffness is present to help diagnose subarachnoid hemorrhage or meningitis (perform only after CT brain)
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Drowsiness causes:
- Fatigue: Related Home Tests:
- Thyroid: Home Testing:
- Home Anemia Diagnostic Tests
- Adrenal Gland Health: Home Testing:
- Sleep Disorders: Home Testing
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Drowsiness:
The following list of conditions
have 'Drowsiness' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Drowsiness or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Drowsiness:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Drowsiness'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: