Diagnostic Tests for Ear sounds
Diagnostic Test list for Ear sounds:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Ear sounds
- Physical examination
- Blood pressure
- Examine ear for abnormalities - e.g. ear wax, otitis externa (outer ear infection), otitis media (middle ear infection), rupture of ear drum, mastoiditis and cholesteatoma.
- Ear drum may be red in cases of a glomus tumor
- Complete nervous system examination should be performed. If abnormalities are found may suggest multiple sclerosis, advanced acoustic neuroma, basilar artery occlusion or insufficiency, brain stem tumors and central nervous system syphilis
- Nystagmus may suggest Meniere's disease
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Thyroid function test
- Blood lipids
- Syphilis screen
- Glucose tolerance test may be required to diagnose diabetes mellitus
- Specialized Audiometry and caloric tests
- Radiological investigations
- X-Ray of the mastoid and petrous bones
- CT scan brain with iodine infusion looking for acoustic neuroma - if suspected.
- Gadolinium-enhanced MRI brain may be required to detect an early acoustic neuroma
- Angiography and venography may help diagnose objective tinnitus (when other people can hear the ear sounds)
- Spinal tap - may be required to diagnose Multiple sclerosis or central nervous system syphilis.
- Electrophysiological tests such as visual-evoked response (VER) - may be required to diagnose Multiple sclerosis.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Ear sounds causes:
- Ear Infections: Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Ear sounds:
The following list of conditions
have 'Ear sounds' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Ear sounds or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Ear sounds:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Ear sounds'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: