Diagnostic Tests for Early puberty
Diagnostic Test list for Early puberty:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Early puberty
- Physical examination
- Examine for papilledema and nervous system signs that may suggest a brain tumor; unilateral pigmentation that may suggest McCune-Albright syndrome; a testicular mass that may suggest Leydig cell tumor or hyperplasia; an adnexal (ovarian) mass that may suggest a granulosa cell tumor or arrhenoblastoma
- Examine for signs of Cushing's syndrome? - e.g. thin skin, bruising, high blood pressure, stretch marks, proximal muscle weakness, acne, pigmentation,excess hair on face, frontal balding in males, moon face, buffalo hump, truncal obesity, fluid retention.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Serum FSH, LH
- Testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone
- 17-hydroxyprogesterone and ACTH levels are increased in congenital adrenal hyperplasia
- If suspect Cushing's syndrome test electrolytes (looking for low potassium in Cushing's syndrome due to adrenal tumors); blood sugar (Impaired glucose tolerance or diabetes are common with Cushing's syndrome); and a long Dexamethasone suppression test (diagnoses Cushing's syndrome and can differentiate pituitary from adrenal cause of Cushing's syndrome
- Urine tests
- 24 hour urinary FSH and LH
- Urine analysis - glucose present in Cushing's syndrome.
- 24 hour Urinary free cortisol measurement to help diagnose Cushing's syndrome
- Radiological investigations
- Bone age studies
- CT or MRI brain scan - if precocious puberty and serum FSH, LH are increased; may detect brain tumor.
- CT Abdomen and pelvis - may identify adrenal mass (adrenocortical hyperplasia or adrenal tumor) or ovarian tumor (granulosa cell tumor or arrhenoblastoma).
- Ultrasound of testicles may identify testicular tumor
- Chest X-Ray and/or Ct scan may detect a lung cancer that rarely may produce ACTH hormone that can cause Cushing's syndrome
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Early puberty causes:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Early puberty:
The following list of conditions
have 'Early puberty' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Early puberty or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: