Diagnostic Tests for Elbow pain
Diagnostic Test list for Elbow pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Elbow pain
- Physical examination
- Note any swelling around the elbow e.g. olecranon bursitis will have soft swelling at the back of the elbow; other conditions that may cause nodular swelling of the elbow include rheumatoid arthritis, gout and rarely systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatic fever and sarcoidosis
- Feel elbow for any tenderness e.g. medial epicondylitis (tennis elbow) will have tenderness over the inner side of the elbow, lateral epicondylitis (golfer's elbow) will have tenderness over the outer side of the elbow
- Test range of movement of the elbow joint
- Test resisted movements e.g. tennis elbow pain is usually worse with moving hand backward at the wrist against resistance; golfer's elbow pain is usually worse with moving hand forward at the wrist against resistance
- Examine neck if suspect that the elbow pain may be referred from the neck
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR - if suspect inflammation or infection.
- Rheumatoid factor - if suspect rheumatoid arthritis.
- Urate level - may assist if suspect gout.
- Radiological investigations
- X-Ray of elbow ( if child, must compare to other side) to help diagnose fractures, tumors, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, loose bodies
- Ultrasound can provide information for epicondylitis and bursitis, but diagnosis is usually on history and examination
- Aspiration of fluid from olecranon bursitis for microscopy and culture - if suspect infection.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Elbow pain causes:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Elbow pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Elbow pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Elbow pain or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: