Some of the possible treatments for Enuresis from various sources may include:
Treatments for Bedwetting
The following treatments are listed for Bedwetting
in our knowledge base:
- Watchful waiting
- Bladder training methods
- Interval training - for heavy sleepers
- Moisture alarms
- Encouragement - this is more helpful than scolding and punishment.
- Antidepressant drugs - in some cases
- Treat any underlying condition
- Bedwetting alarms
- Behavioural therapy
- Doctors frequently consider bedwetting as a self-limiting problem, since most children will outgrow it. Children 5 to 9 years old have a spontaneous cure rate of 14% per year. Adolescents 10 to 18 years old have a spontaneous cure rate of 16% per year
Alternative Treatments for Enuresis
Alternative treatments, home remedies, other other complementary therapies that have been listed as possibly helpful for Enuresis in various sources may include:
- Avoid liquids before bedtime
- Avoid milk before bedtime
- Mind-body exercise
- Cumin, coriander and fennel tea (well before bedtime)
- Chinese folk remedies
- Dried litchi (type of Asian fruit)
- Corn silk tea
- Moxa stick (moxibustion therapy)
- Do not punish your child for accidents
- Expect your child to help clean up the wet bed
- Use a plastic cover over the mattress to minimize clean up
- Avoid overstimulation before bedtime (e.g. read a book instead of watching TV)
- Reward accident-free nights
- Do not focus attention on accidents but do help your child clean up
- Do not wake your child for a nighttime bathroom run but enable the child to set his/her own alarm for this purpose
- Avoid caffeine six hours before bedtime
- Practice starting and stopping while urinating
- Bedwetting alarm for the mattress pad (or to be worn) if the child is cooperative
- Reduce stress (parents and child)
Unlabeled Drugs and Medications to treat Enuresis:
Unlabelled alternative drug treatments for Enuresis may include:
- Amantadine - mainly for bedwetting in children
- Antadine - mainly for bedwetting in children
- Symadine - mainly for bedwetting in children
- Symmetrel - mainly for bedwetting in children
Latest treatments for Enuresis
The following medications/drugs/procedures are some of the latest treatments for Enuresis:
Treatments for Causes of Enuresis
Review the treatment information pages for various causes of Enuresis:
More causes: not all possible causes for Enuresis are listed above; for a full list refer to causes of Enuresis.
Only your doctor can advise whether any of these treatments are appropriate
for your specific medical situation.
Always discuss all treatment options with your doctor before
making a decision,
including whether to start or discontinue any treatment plan.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Enuresis:
The following list of conditions
have 'Enuresis' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Enuresis or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Enuresis:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Enuresis'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: